Are there any organic Herbacides ?

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I would love to find something safe to use on poison oak and brambles to kill them off that does not come chock full of scarey chemicals. Any suggestions?

New Paris, OH

There is vinager, salt solutions and a corn glureten preemergent called W.O.W. sold by GardensAlive.

For brambles and PO it is best to dig out the roots and keep the things mowed back afterwards for about 4 years.

Or you can repeatedly spray a herbicide on the area for about 4 years as you must kill the roots to get the problem solved and these plants have huge root systems.

Livestock such as goats, bunnies and chickens are all very effective eradicators of such plants. our chickens took out blackberry brambles in about 18 months.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

I just started using the vinegar. It seems to work fairly well on your common weeds. I haven't tried it on poison oak or poison ivy. Knock on wood (as I thump the top of my head), I don't have either in my yard. Now, honey milkweed vine is another story. That d*** stuff comes up everywhere! I'll just keep spraying the leaves and pouring in on the base of it to see if it works on it. That stuff has a root system that must be only destructible by thermal necular blast!

Sharon

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL! Sharon, I never thought about taking a nuclear attack approach to it....that might even work on the dreaded bind weed....or at least if it didn't work on the plants I might mutate under the fallout and grow a couple extra hands to work with!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.