Fresh Alaska Salmon

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I've grown the variegated Alaska nasturtium for years, but this year I bought a package of just the salmon color. I think it is quite a nice combo, don't you?

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I thought maybe the silvers were running! Thats a pretty nice color, tho.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL I was thinking capers, cream cheese and bagels!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Mmm, mmm, mmm.

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6a)

Mmm . . . me too! Now I wish I had some smoked salmon!

The nasturtiums are beautiful! Is the name really Fresh Alaska Salmon?

Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

With all the fires up here they are probably called smoked salmon?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

LOL, Rick! No, these guys were called Alaska Salmon. I purchased the seed from Select: http://www.selectseeds.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/0163.6.4035976014419087200

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Rick, I awoke at 6:30am to start the coffee, and the first light of morning carried an orangey glow... must be the forest fires in the interior. The smoke settles in our little 'bowl' here.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I guess those fires will just have to burn themselves out, as is often the case in the Greatland. Rick, how are your maters doin'?

Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

I have eaten about 10 ripe tomatoes this year so far. One Caspian Pink, one Costoluto Genovese and the rest were Stupice.

I have about 6 ripe Stupice on the vine with a couple dozen or so green one.

Many green Caspian Pink and Costoluto Genovese which are barely showing a change of color to a slight white. I should get several off in the next week. I also have about 20 HANK tomatoes from seeds that were given me by TomatoBob. (tomatobob.com) They are quite green and I am not sure if I will get any or not. Juneau is rpredicted to have about a week of warm dry weather coming up so we shall see what ripens.

I went to see a friend yesterday and he had about a bushel of ripe Oregon Spring on the vine. We had a tasting and the taste was excellent. Puts A & P to shame.

Rick

Juneau, AK(Zone 5a)

Weez - do you grow tomatoes in Seward?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I was afraid you were going to ask me that! They are strictly a greenhouse item here. Even 'Wall o' Water' can't save them outdoors. I have approximately ten plants in my greenhouse hooped in pots, and I see two ripening 'Early Girl'. There are a few green tomatoes here and there, but they'd better get to ripening, since our season is about over here. I guess some folks do OK with greenhouse tomatoes here, but I seem to grow them as an ornamental! LOL!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Has UAF released any decent tomatoes recently? When I left in '94 there were some interesting exchanges with Siberia just taking place. Anything happen with that? Also, Anchorage had just started a botanical garden. Have either of you been there? Is there any one else from AK at DG?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I've never been to the botanical gardens... though I don't know why not! Anchorage is 120 miles each way, so we usually only go a couple times a year, and we have a shopping list as long as your arm.

Here's the Googles page with info on University of Alaska Fairbanks research on tomatoes. We generally grow the cherry types because they mature faster. Sungold is a favorite in Alaska.

Here's some info on the Botanical Gardens: http://www.alaskabg.org/
http://www.frommers.com/destinations/moreattract.cfm?a_id=19052
http://home.corecom.net/~gardener/AnchGardens/PublicGarden.html

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

I got a half flat of some annual verbenas that were just that color... it's a wonderful touch of softness.

I'll try the nastys next year, bigger bloom same color and nasturtiums cover more ground. Thanks for the introduction.

**I thought you were talking fish too. hee hee

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Hey, Blooms. You could spread Alaska Salmon filets out on the ground... good fertilizer if you can keep the cats out of it!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I started to get involved in '94 then, had to leave. There were some great people associated with that project. I hope things worked out! If you get up that way, check it out and update me, ok? Thanks for the links!

blooms, that fertilizer idea "stinks." :-) All you will get for your efforts are more cats and maybe grizzly bears!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Hey, that's one way to get rid of the neighbor cats in your garden!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

:-D

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.