Canna question

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

This canna is about 8 feet tall at least and I have collected seeds. Is there any way to identify it and if it is a hybrid? All of my seed trades this winter are going to be 'assorted' otherwise!

Thumbnail by daisyavenue
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

And this medium sized canna is next to it. I honestly cannot remember if it was there last year and so I was wondering if it was a seed from the tall guy. Maybe not though. And can we name him something too?

Thumbnail by daisyavenue
Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Daisy, your seeds will definitely be hybrids since canna seeds do not come true. I just describe the parent, when I trade canna seeds, and the flower color, size, and shape; i.e., tall canna, large flowers, peachy color. That way they know what at least one parent was. There is no guarantee that their hybrid will turn out to be the same as the parent however.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks, Clare!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

One more question, Clare, do we have to wait until spring to sprout these? Thanks.

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Hi Daisy, no, you can sow them now if you want to! I would soak them first for 24-48 hours in water which starts out hand hot. Some people chip or lightly sand the hard seeds before soaking them, but I've never found that necessary. I started seeds in containers about this time last year, and they germinated right away. They stayed fairly small through the winter, but when I planted them in the ground in the spring, they took off and flowered beautifully. Happy sowing!

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Oh WOW! You did good!!!!

Thanks for the advice!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.