Messenger

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I came across the reference to this stuff while browsing the Brug Forum. I thought it was interesting, and wonder what organic growers either know, or think, of it. I posted links and more info. on the Tomato Forum, under a thread named something like "Calling Carolyn"

Messenger

Messenger is a product developed by EDEN Bioscience to enhance a plant’s own growth and natural defense mechanisms that defend against insects, common diseases and environmental stresses. The way Messenger works has been likened to the way a vaccine works in humans. Messenger causes the expression of natural plant genes that result in resistance against a range of viral, fungal and bacterial diseases, including some which no effective treatments have been developed.

The active ingredient in Messenger is harpin protein. Harpin is a protein that is derived from and chemically identical to a naturally occurring protein produced by pathogenic plant bacteria. Harpin harnesses a plant’s own defense mechanisms by binding to early warning receptors causing natural gene expression to activate a series of systemic acquired resistance genes. This activates signal transduction pathways that send a chemical signal throughout the plant that trigger stress-defense and growth responses. The effects of Messenger are observed within three to five days after application and may last for several weeks.

Messenger was also found to produce increased plant vigor and stamina, in conjunction with increased defense mechanisms. As a result, there is an increase in overall health of the plant which further reinforces the plant’s ability to produce growth and stress responses. Messenger has been shown to increase the plant’s biomass as well as improve fruit development and increased crop yield to 10% to 20%. In field trials messenger has been shown to increase one or more of the following: photosynthesis, nutrient uptake, root development and seed germination as well as producing earlier flowering and fruit maturation. Since the crops treated with Messenger are heartier than normal crops , they also have an increased shelf life.

The specific plant protein, HrBP1, that binds harpin is suspected to initiate the observed plant responses. Proteins closely related to HrBP1 are present in most all crop species, suggesting that all crops may have the potential respond to Messenger. In the field Messenger has been proven effective on citrus, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, strawberries, cotton wheat, rice, corn and soybean, as well as ornamental crops like roses.

Messenger has been demonstrated to be virtually non-toxic to mammals, birds, honeybees, plants and aquatic species. The composition of Messenger is 3% harpin protein and 97% food-grade products and other low-risk ingredients. Messenger is a water soluble, granular powder that is sprayed onto the crop. In order to be effective, less than one teaspoon (one tsp. = 0.1667 oz.) of harpin is needed per acre (retail price of Messenger is $14.95 per 0.25 oz). Messenger leaves no detectable residue since it is rapidly degraded by sunlight and microbes on plant surfaces and in soil. Thus crops treated pose no threat to the consumer since by the time the crops reach the market no detectible residue will remain.

Since Messenger leaves no detectable residue it does not contaminate the ground or surface water and requires no special disposal treatment; it can be discarded with normal refuse.

Other environmental benefits of Messenger are that it does not directly kill pests or pathogens, thus reducing the possibility that pests will develop resistance. In addition to increasing resistance to viral and fungal predators, better tolerance to root-knot and cyst nematodes has been observed in field and greenhouse trials. In field tests, Messenger was not shown to disrupt the natural or introduced population of beneficial predators and parasites. Also, weeds in test plots treated with Messenger were compared with weeds in untreated fields and found to be no different. Since Messenger is effective on a wide array of crops it has the potential to reduce or replace the use of traditional pesticides, further lessening risk to the environment.

Messenger has been tested in thousands of greenhouse studies, as well as in over 400 field trials and on more than forty crops in over four countries. Messenger has obtained an Experimental Use Permits from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and has been given the lowest hazard potential designation. The EPA requires that plots treated with Messenger have a four hour minimum time period of restricted entry, while most pesticide require a period of twenty-four to forty-eight hours of restricted access.

The University of California performed nine wine grape trials in 2001. In this, Messenger was alternated with grower standard fungicides. Messenger maintained disease control and was shown to significantly increase crop yields compromising quality standards compared to the standard grower practices. Moreover, in a blind taste test, wine made with grapes treated with Messenger was preferred over all other treatments. Although, from these studies it was not recommended that Messenger be used as a stand alone product for disease management under moderate to severe pressure. However, messenger can be used successfully in an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) system to reduce environmental and safety concern in addition to developing resistance.

In another field trial in Oxnard, California in August of 2002, field growers reported an “immediate” increase in blooms on the Messenger-treated plants. The plants treated with Messenger as well as the growers standard treatment had 35.5% more potential fruit than non Messenger-treated-plants.

In 2001 it was reported that Messenger had not yet been proven successful on cherries and was inconsistent in its effect on fire blight, a bacterial disease. Initially Messenger was successful in warding off the disease, but the poor performance in preventing the disease may have been due to adverse weather conditions.

As the base of an Integrated Pest Management program, Messenger seems to be able to live up to all of the claims made by EDEN Bioscience. By triggering defense as well as growth responses plants are able to fend off pests and diseases and gain health to be better prepared to resist future attacks.

Tygh Valley, OR(Zone 6a)

Very interesting, thanks for posting it.

The benefits sound real close to what I get from using Kelp. (Foliar & Soil)

I cut out Kelp competely this year, to see the actual benefits it provides & to make sure I wasn't relying on it too heavily?
So far, I've noticed quite an increase in Aphids, more malformed fruit & less fruit/budset.
Its right in line with what I was expecting.
Last year, my sweet peppers were practically bug-free using Kelp as a foliar spray.

My plants are doing great still, due mostly to my liberal use of Fish, Manure, Bone meal, good soil prep etc.
If I could only use one thing in my garden though, it would be Kelp. The stuff is amazing & I swear by it!

I'm already excited about next year. I have my fertilizer regimen dialed in & I'm window shopping for my first high-tunnel =) I think I'll post a 'high-tunnel' thread to see if theres any words of wisdom out there on that subject? =)

Again, that sure is an interesting article!

Cheers

There has been some very active discussion on several threads in a couple of forums on Messenger. One in the manufacturer's group has just joined DG and has made DG members this offer:

Here's what we can do. You can get a 10% discount on your order PLUS 2 free samples of our new enhanced plant food MightyPlant with any purchase of Messenger over $15.

You can purchase Messenger at [HYPERLINK@www.edenbio.com]
Just use this coupon code when you checkout to get your discount: DVSGRDN829

This offer will be good for one week (until September 6). Registered users will also qualify for future discounts and special promotions, so please register too. Spread the word to your friends!

To see all the discussion and some before and after photos, type "Messenger" in the forum search box here on DG.

Tygh Valley, OR(Zone 6a)

I'd love to try it (on someone elses land =) mines certifiable Organic.
I don't get anything non-organic near it, especially if... "The EPA requires that plots treated with Messenger have a four hour minimum time period of restricted entry"
Sounds a little too GMOish for me anyway?

I'd love a chance to go up against it with Kelp in some field trials though! ;)

cheers

Good thoughts, Oregonics!

I thought the photos KYRNYSGIRL posted in the brug forum of "before and after" didn't look much different than my plants this year where I fed (and alternated) kelp/fish emulsion and alfalfa tea. Spectacular results with that formula, at least to me.

Tygh Valley, OR(Zone 6a)

I agree darius, Kelp is amazing stuff isnt it? =)
It doesn't get any safer or time-tested either. You can eat it & its mentioned in mans earliest written records.
I had some pickled bullwhip kelp once that was great, although the cold-processed liquid I use won't be winning any culinary contests lol.

I imagine the active hormones/proteins/whatever are at least vaguely similar, at least in effect? They sure do the same thing?
In Kelp....the main ingredient, along with a multitude of trace minerals is "cytokinin"
It is believed to be responsible for the major benefits, along with the peace of mind that your plants trace mineral needs are taken care of.

Qwik quote on the subject...
"The active ingredient, kelp, can grow a foot a day and the same hormones that prompt this rapid growth can have a more subtle but similar effect when sprayed on plants in our gardens. Applied directly onto the foliage, the spray seems to promote faster, stronger stem and leaf growth.
When added to the soil at the base of a plant the same hormones can also stimulate root growth."

In my experience, bugs hate the stuff too & will move on to "UN-kelped" areas ASAP!
It is also claimed to help prevent plant disease/fungus? I haven't had ANY yet, so I'm inclined to agree with that claim too.

I don't want to knock this Messenger too much, with the very little I know about it?
Other than its NOT an organic product IMHO.
I'm mostly resorting to my "rule of thumb when ignorant"...

Its not nice to fool with Mother Nature! =)

She'll usually mutate & throw ya a curve ball every time! ;)

cheers

Coburn, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi Oregonics;

I'm Jeff and in the spirit of full disclosure, I work for EDEN. I wondered if you had any specific questions about what Messenger is and how we understand it to work? I'd be happy to answer any questions.

I was intrigued by you response above regarding the benefits and attributes of kelp. How about some food for thought? Although I'm not suggesting that you use Messenger if you are a "certified" organic grower (because it has not been certified), it is very complimentary to the basic principles of organic production: it simply unlocks the naturally evolved potential of plants to protect themselves. Maybe it really is a better fit than you think. Please consider this reasoning.

First off, there is no GMO involved in this concept...the genes Messenger activates in the plant responsible for stress defense, growth and reproduction have been there (or have been evolving in plants) for 400 million years. The naturally occurring proteins (called harpins) in Messenger are simply early warning indicators that the plant uses to "sense" when they are under attack from a disease organism (especially bacterial diseases), and the plant responds by activating it's natural defenses to protect itself and ward off the disease. I guess it could be thought of as the plant version of an immune response. Kind of what our bodies do when we "sense" an attack from something like a tetanus shot.

The real beauty of this approach is the fact that the plant controls the responses (and there are many inter-related mechanisms involved). Who better to initiate and manage those than the plant itself? All of those mechanisms involve many different plant produced hormones and biochemicals, each playing a specific role in each step of the pathway involved.

The key point to this is to recognize that all of the pathways (and the bio-chemicals and plant hormones involved like gibberellins, auxins, cytokinins, abscisic acid, and ethylene) are inter-related...the production of one influences not only that pathway, but others as well. Spraying a plant with one of those hormones poses the risk of overloading that pathway without regard to it's relationship to all the other inter-related pathways. If one believes that Mother Nature is much better at managing these mechanisms, then it is a more eloquent solution to simply get the plant to activate and manage those responses...in balance and in concert with one another.

The alternative approach of spraying one of the plant hormones is like "jumping in the middle" of a complex chain of events that can potentially over stimulate a single step in a complex chain of events within a specific pathway. That means the plant has to compensate (in a big hurry) to get all of the inter-related parts up to speed and in balance with one another. Probably not as predictable or healthy approach for the plant in the long run as having the plant turn on and elevate all of those systems in concert with one another.

That's not to say that using products that include plant hormones can't be effective or are necessarily bad. I'm just suggesting that the plant is probably a lot better at managing those processes that involve and use those compounds when the plant controls things.

What do you think?

Jeff

PS: We do know that the Messenger effect is enhanced when sufficient nutrients are available to fund these responses, so the plant nutrients supplied by the kelp are equally valuable.

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6b)

Jeff... Based on your claims here I am going to try it but it ain't September anymore... I hope the coupon code will still work or if there is a newer one out there you will honor it for me.

Drew

Winchester, VA(Zone 6b)

I ran across this early in the season. I got some and will try it. If I can figure out how to use it.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Very easy to use, 1/4 teaspoon to 1 quart of tempid water. I shake mine well and apply with a pump pressure type mister.
Drench with mist.
Fold package tightly and put a clip on it to keep it sealed.
Must be used within 4 hours of mixing.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Messanger had a booth set up at our NW Flower and Garden show a couple weeks back....I took a free sample, but am reluctant to try it. I do just fine with all my organics, and honestly I found their whole approach at the Garden show to be almost 'cult' like. Kinda creepy just how cheerful, bubbly, and over the top they all were about their product.

Mark, how sad, after so many of us are excited about it.
It's very expensive, in my skinny budget, $10 for 3 .12oz pkg.
I got several from the co-op lhughes ran here.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Would you like my free sample Sugarweed? I never meant to distinguish your enthusiasm for the prodcut, I was merely voicing my impression.

You don't even want to try it on an comparison basis with a couple plants?
Sure, I'd put it to use and could I send you some Mexican milkweed, or
purple Daturas seed, those are the only two I have.
I'm in Jax, fl and I am what I call a "New age gardener".
My yard perks at 55mph, so I use polymers to slow down our high dollar water.
I tried QVC's Spray n Grow, had Impatients 4.5' tall and blooming until hard freeze in Jan.
That was before DG that I started using those.
All of these are bio-degradeable and non-toxic, but high tech, kinda like this lap top I now get most of my gardening info from.
You are a Huggybear me thinks.

Coburn, PA(Zone 6a)

Mark

Sorry to hear you were put off by our folks at the Northwest Flower Show in Seattle. I just want to assure you that we are not a cult.

As strenuous as this show season has been, I'm surprised anyone had enough energy to come across as too bubbly. But hey, considering how enthused we are to be involved with Messenger and the idea that we can unlock the innate potential of plants to be naturally healthier and more productive, we can get a little fired up.

Having worked the other side of the fence (so to speak) for 25 years involved with what you would consider "traditional pesticide" companies, I can't tell you how energizing it is to be working with a product like Messenger, especially when people routinely tell us how thrilled they are with the results. Just read many of the forums on Dave's Garden.

I hope you'll at least give the product a try. If you saw some "cult like" behavior from people visiting the booth, that proabably just an EDEN employee thriulled to be talking about Messenger, or someone that has used it themselves that was excited about their own results. Of course, we could also blame it on the high test coffee.

Cheers ; )

Jeff

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Thank you for the on-line commercial Jeff

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Jeff. I have read alot about messenger. I have read about it in all these trial gardens from the companies ad. What I do not read about is second and third year effects from using it. Especially on perennials. Is there any scientific data on that?

I have qualms about using it. What so-called resistance to virial and fungal diseases does it try and help prevent. Most fungal diseases can be prevented with good IMP mangt. practices and good soil mix with proper drainage and growing conditions.

I could be wrong, but to the best of my knowledge there is no cure for viral infections and that is why any plant or crop showing such symptoms is destroyed. How can messenger say it helps prevent these.

I wonder if using messenger, how long before the fungi and virus become immune. Usually using a product like messenger may help in the short term, but what is the long term benefits and pitfalls?

I ask not to pick on messenger personally, but I had considered getting some of it and testing it in one of my directed studies.

Messeneger suggests it is good on various food crops but only lists one ornamental Roses. What other ornamental crops has it been tested on ?

Coburn, PA(Zone 6a)

Starlight1153;

Thanks for the great questions. Sorry for the long response, but I figured you wanted as complete an answer as possible.

We don't have a very much controlled, replicated scientific data on the long term effects on ornamental perennials, but a lot of very positive anecdotal reports on roses. I will refer to our research (and long term use 3+ years) on agricultural perennials like citrus, pome fruits, blueberry, brambles, grapes, etc. because I believe it is indicative.

One of the responses tied to the plants defense mechanism involves increased levels of photosynthetic activity. We've measured this in over 40 species of plants. Messenger treated plants photosynthesize at a higher level. We believe this response is a fundamental necessity for providing increased energy to fund the changes taking place in the plant and to make up for the "drain" being put on the system when there is an infection. Think of this as a survival tactic that helps the plant keep it's head above water when the plant is being attacked by a disease. If the plant doesn't have a disease putting a drain on the system, this increased energy production can be used by other plant systems...to put on growth, flower more profusely, produce more fruit and manage the other facets of the defense response. If you stimulate this response late in the season, the excess energy can be used by the plant to store increased root reserves as it prepares for dormancy. Our experience shows that plants treated with Messenger late in the season typically exhibit robust, strong growth the next spring. We believe this is not a direct “residual” effect of the treatment, but an indirect benefit of improved overall plant health from the previous year. You can read a white paper on this topic on our web site: Messenger Treatment Increases Net Photosynthetic Rates in Multiple Plant Species http://www.edenbio.com/tk/tkd_whitepaper.html

Regarding viral and fungal resistance. In comparison to an immune response in humans, the defense response the plant mounts is quite broad but less complete (at least not the very narrow but high level immunity you would expect in a human from a tetanus shot for example). Plants that activate these responses prior to attack from the pathogen sometimes (depending on the species of plant, the pathogen, and the pressure) exhibit quite good natural resistance against bacterial, viral, and fungal pathogens. In fact, one of the bioassays used to test Messenger when we make it measures a tobacco plants induced resistance to Tobacco Mosaic Virus (TMV). Several fungal diseases that Mesenger has shown to ellicit some increased level of resistance to in various crops are botrytis, powdery mildew, and phytophthora. You can see the TMV resistance described (and pictured) in this white paper: Harpin Activates Multiple Plant Defense Response Pathways.

Regarding the possibility of causing pest or pathogen resistance. I’ll preface this by saying that Mother Nature may decide to change the way things work at any time, so I’ll never say never, but consider:
1. These are natural, plant controlled and managed responses that have evolved over millions of years. Messenger simply stimulates the plant to turn them on proactively before the attack, rather than after the fact in response to an attack.
2. Unlike pesticides that apply high levels of selection pressure on the pest using a single chemical compound (and selection that is usually focused on a particular point in a metabolic pathway), the plant uses many inter-related pathways that provide this protection. These are plant responses that the pest has evolved with over millions of years too, so the mechanisms providing this protection to the plant aren’t exactly something new to the pest either.

Hope this answers your questions.

Best of luck,

Jeff

Jeff, Thanks for the info about Messenger. I, too, attended the NW Flower and Garden Show and received my free sample. I had forgotton about it until I happened upon this thread. One question: Can I add Messenger to my compost tea just before spraying? If so, I'd like to give this product a try and compare using the Messenger amended tea with my regular tea.
Thanks for the info,
Melissa

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.