This 'problem' is driving me nuts!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

For about a week and a half now I've had a problem with the task bar (windows xp home edition) being non-responsive for maybe 3 minutes after the desktop appears (after booting). If you move the mouse to the task bar to click the start button or anything else on the task bar, you just get an hour glass (no mouse pointer with it). It won't let you select anything. I finally figured out there is a process running that's causing this. The thing is, the name of the .exe process that's running seems to change every time! If I do a crtl-alt-delete to get the task manager up, I can kill the process and it's fine from then on. Also, if you let it go for a few minutes, it'll clear up on it's own. It's as if it's thinking about something or doing something. What, I have no idea. I can't find any file on the PC named with the process I'm seeing, no Google search comes up with any info and a virus scan and adaware scan comes up with nothing.

Here are the processes I've seen running so far. It's always easy to figure out which one it is, but like I said, the name changes after every reboot...and I think I've even seen it come back after killing it, with a different name (like it restarted itself).

Only one of these runs at any one time. I wrote these down each time I killed the process.
KZ840E.exe
GK4034.exe
JEF36F.exe
HPA5A3.exe
CUB383.exe
DJ329F.exe
DS7B98.exe
WCD1BB.exe
STFE73.exe
CO9963.exe

Any idea what this is?

This thread has 11 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!