yellow stargazer

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Anyone know anything about the yellow stargazer I see in catalogues lately? Are they as tall as reds? Nice color? Has anyone seen them in bloom?

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

no on the yellow stargazer, but hi from a fellow massachusetts gardener.

Wow, Springfield! I'm jealous that you are 50 minutes away in Zone 6a! What do you grow????

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

lots of lilies of course! well 6a yes, but after last winter i'm thinking it is more like zone 1 here. LOL i stopped counting at 50 plants lost.
mostly i have a little of this and a little of that, perennials, hostas, some schrubs, annuals, sunflowers, a few daylilies, peonies, rudbeckie, daisies, bellflowers, and some pretty spring bulbs here and there, but mostly lilies, a couple of species, 10 or so tigers, trumpets, a few orienpets, and lots and lots of orientals, of which my last 3 blossoms are in bloom. i have one more, a speciosum, that will bloom next month. do you have the lily beetle up there yet? i hope not. i got it this year. last year, in the fall i saw a couple of these red bugs and with poppysue's heads up i realized what they were. so this spring i kept an eye out for them and sure enough, i was out there spraying the nasty larvae and eggs from my lilies, in june. but i'm sure glad i did. i only saw about a dozen these past few weeks
so what do you grow? do you have a favorite flower/plant?
debi z

I have lots of new gardens and several refurbished ones with many different perennials. I moved here in the country a year and a half ago from the booming metropolis of Shelburne Falls to a 6 year neglected garden. And it's now pretty much under control!! And I'm exhausted. I'm steering clear of any plants I can't control. My big shows are siberian irises (and various species), japanese irises, roses (recent), daylilies, and clumps of Casa Blanca and many Arenas. I also have asiatics-Dancing Eyes, Motenegro, chianti, a pale yellow and a peach. And a red turk's cap and canada lilies from the field. During this season, I don't like pink with orange or bright yellow which leaves out many oriental lilies cause so many are pink. Thus the search for pale yellow lillies to partner with Arena. My house is white and Arena is almost lost against it so I thought the yellow would bring out the stripes in Arena while showing up against the house. I would prefer Orientals cause they would bloom the same time hopefully, but I've been lusting after an expensive orienpet lily named "Georgette." Do you know her? Do orienpets bloom before orientals? Do you know a place where I could get bulbs under $12.50 a pop??? The yellow stargazer would be a compromise solution.

Thumbnail by boojum

Oops! Wasn't answering your questions very well or spelling very well (montenegro, lilies) What did you spray on the lily beetles? None here yet, but it helps to be ready! I think I still adore Japanese irises, especially a rose queen seedling I begged the hybridizers for. But also siberians, like Snow Prince, Summer Sky, and Pleasures of May. Do you know them? I have pics if you are interested. I was pretty happy when my showy ladyslipper bloomed for the first time this June. And I love my citrina daylilies. It's a lot like seeing old friends when my favorites bloom. But here is a wild and (I think) beautiful new friend, HERE BE DRAGONS siberian.

Thumbnail by boojum
Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Wow! these are very beautiful.....

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

what beautiful gardens you must have. i just started gardening 5 years ago and i'm still learning so very much. i am trying new plants, trying to find things that i like, that i can "keep under control" too, and getting rid of the things that just don't appeal to me, now that i am living with them in my garden.
the lily beetle is a bright red bug about 1/3 " with a black head. they came into this country in the late 1990's from europe. the big problem is that there is no natural predator in the united states to control them. so they are doing trials and starting to release these wasps into the test gardens around boston.
there life cycle is in june they lay there bright orange/ sometime black egg s on the underside of the lily leaves. 7-10 days the larvae hatches and starts to munch on the leaves. now the disgusting part.....in order to ward off predators, the larvae carries there own excrement around on there backs. yuckooooooooooooooo and it is. the larvae matures then it drops to the ground, burries itself and then emerges about 4-6 weeks as adults. they then go about and eat your leaves again. the only difference is that now they will not be laying eggs. the cure right now is to use Sevin. you have to spray both the tops and bottoms of the leaves. any larvae, eggs or bugs will die. of course this is a time consuming process, but the results are that you won't have a lot of new adults to overwinter to the spring.
i saw only about a dozen adults this august, so i'm very happy with that. also, the beetles are rather slow, so you can pick and squish. :)
well i'm just waking up with my first cup of coffee, so i'll come back and see how i did with answering your questions later. ;-)
debi z and my little bulbette franklin

If you look for Golden Stargazer, you'll find what your looking for on the plantsdatabase, or a google image search.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Boojum - Welcome to Dave's Garden! Ahhhhh.....another lily lover. (what are we up to now Debi? We might catch the DL forum yet!).

I found the Georgette Orienpet at Jung's at a considerably lower price than $12.95, Boojum. Here ya go.....

https://www.jungseed.com/jungsite/jungsiteviewproduct.aspx?ProductID=18578

Granite City, IL

Golden Stargazer is just beautiful. I have a few. They range about the same height here, but the color is awesome. I took a couple pics this year but they are not that great. I have these planted by a peony and the peony is getting huge, I have got to get them moved this fall! I just bought 3 more at brent & beckys last sale.

Love those lilies.

Thumbnail by puddleofmudd
Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6a)

Hi boojum! This is a little off-topic but I've been to Shelburne Falls. This was years ago, and I was with my parents looking for a couple of our ancestors' homes. It was winter and the town was soo quiet! It was so beautiful but I wished we'd been there during the summer so that maybe some of the people would have been out and about. Or is Shelburne Falls a place where people have their summer homes and live elsewhere in the winter?

Uh-oh. Haven't been keeping up!
WOW. Great prices for Georgette, BUT they say they bloom in June. That would be bad! Wher is Jung's??? The Lily Garden said late July -early August.

Yellow Stargazers look good! Are they yellow or cream? Or do they change over time?

Shelburne Falls has been getting louder-more new people and restaurants. When I first went there in 1972, it was completely dead. Even in the day, but now it's up later than ever. Still a tiny place though. In winter, they roll up the sidewalks at 6PM. There are a mix of tourists, summer dwellers, and permanents. Population is under 2000. One main street. 2 bridges. You must come to SF in the summer some day because the old trolley bridge was converted into "The Bridge of Flowers" and the "potholes" (rounded out rock holes) and the falls are surrounded by flowers. It's a flowery town in general.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

boojum - After doing a little research on Georgette I decided to check our Jung in our own Garden Watchdog. (Should have done that in the first place). Not good. Read for yourself. I would NOT order from them despite their great price.

http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/106/

As for the flowering time.....generally speaking Asiatics bloom in June, Orienpets & Trumpets in July and Orientals in late July/Aug. However, weather plays a BIG part in bloom time among other things. Arena is an Oriental so you would probably want to look at orientals for your companion plant for Arena.

Brenda

Thanks for the warning!!! What's your experience, langbr? I suspected something was odd when I saw the dates. Just didn't make sense for orienpets. I'll keep looking. Maybe I should do Georgette AND yellow stargazers and there will be nice contrast against the house from the asiatics on (dancing eyes and black jack-very dark red). Hmmmmm.

Here's dancing eyes.

Also after all my avoidance of pink orientals, I found a good spot for them this morning and went to a plant sale at a local nursery and bought 'Barbaresco.'

Thumbnail by boojum
Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Boojum, would you be willing to trade siberian iris for siberian iris next spring 2005?
I know that is not the correct time to trade iris, but have never had problems if you baby them and give them lots TLC!!

Also would be interested in your Jap. iris. I have lots of names TB iris or possibly something else.
Lots of lilies [asiatics] that I could trade.

DebiZ, I have been battleing botrytris blight on everything this yr. Most especially on my lilies. Spray every 6 days with a spray. Right now the name escapes me. Name of spray, that is!!

Maxine

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

i've been using soap shield and triple action 20-20. there is another i'm going to try next year. saw it in my lily society literature. gotta find it again over the winter, for my spring ordering. we have had so much rain this summer, i have only watered a few times and those were mostly my annuals, to get them settled in. my iris's are dying from rust others i think have some of the borytis, some of my daylilies too. i just cut back some of my iris that had rust down at ground level. hoping to dry them out. then it has poured for the last 2 days. oh well, i'll cut the others back to one of these here days. i'm going to research doing some drenching of my mulch for the borytis.
i'll stop blah blah blahing now. :-)
later.................
debi z and my little bulbette franklin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.