Have Sinningia ssp. Rio das Pedras seeds

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

I wish I had a picture of this baby but I do not.... It's one of the micro mini sinningias (gets to be the size of a quarter or so when mature) that needs a terrarium to grow. It blooms in about 5-6 months from germination.

If you traded with me earlier, I may have included a pack of seeds in my box so please check first.

Anyway, I have enough seeds for the first 4 people to post here. The drill: (1) post here, and then (2) send me your address by email. This is a total freebie - I don't even need a stamp.

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Wow, I would love some seeds! Thanks for the offer. :)

--DanaK

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Wow! I am interested in seeds.

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

Oh, come on. No one else up for something new? All you need is a little dixie cup, a spoonful of av soil, a jar, a room temperature spot, and a little light. Cute fuzzy leaves with dark markings, and takes up no space?

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Here's a link with a pic so you can see just how cute they are.

http://www.blackjungle.com/gallery/talltank/image38.html

MsC

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

Let's see if this works. A pic of a dixie cup of seedlings. Sorry it's a bit dark.

Thumbnail by Keyring

That's a great pic...it looks pretty good and it's not too dark.

Willits, CA(Zone 8a)

I'd love some seeds to try.

Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

Hi Keyring,

It looks very lovely! Could you send me the seeds to Japan??? I'll mail you later.
Thank you,

goldenfish

Lenexa, KS(Zone 5b)

Darn, get too busy to be on the computer for a few days and see what I miss! If you get any more, please keep me in mind. I think the mini plants are so interesting. On a side note, I'm really enjoying the chiritas (they've been blooming) and episcias you sent me. They're all growing like crazy!

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

Heather - I have enough for you. Send me your address again.

Pembroke, NH(Zone 5a)

Hello, I have just gotten back into growing av's and would love some seeds if you have more!! I think I may be a little late!!

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

Seeds will be going out in the mail today.

SuzenNH - I'm out of seeds but if you want to email me your address, I'll send you some when the next seed pod is ripe (maybe a month or two from now). Please put "rio das pedras seeds" in the email.

Sob!Sob! I missed out on this!! You're sweet to offer tho!

Keyring, I see we're in the same state and not too terribly far from each other. Can you recommend any business in the general area that sells the more hard-to-find violets and chiritas? My daughter lives in Northern Virginia and when I visit, I simply have to stop at both locations of Merrifield Gardens. That's where I first saw a variegated AV. I have about 3 of them. They're the Buckeyes. The last time I visited they didn't have any new ones. That's an awesome place to visit tho for all kinds of rare plants.

Susan

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

Hi Susan! I'm not sure about local AV sources. Behnke's usually has very healthy ones (not named) but I don't think they are anything special - I'm not the best person to ask because I actually don't grow many AVs. The closest Behnke's is in Potomac, which is actually very close if you're near the beltway - 495 North, exit River Road (I think that's the second exit after the river), go northwest towards potomac, and it's a few miles up river rd on the right. A friend of mine has had good luck finding girl leaves and variegateds at Lowes. And there is an AV society in the area, as well as a gesneriad society - I don't attend either though.

I may have more of the Rio seeds so you should send me your address. Actually, if you're interested in random gesneriads, you should let me know - I have some "stuff" lying around.

Willits, CA(Zone 8a)

Keyring-
I received the seeds this weekend. Can't wait to get them in a pot!
Thanks
-Becky

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Keyring,
I received my seeds also. I'm ready to plant them, but do I put them all in a little cup? Them separate them later if a number of them grows? I'm excited-- the plants are so tiny and unique!
--DanaK

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

For a 3oz cup, I try to sow only 10-15 seeds per cup. I TRY to spread them out, but I usually end up with a clump of 20 seedlings in the middle. :( The pic above is one of the better cups - I was able to leave them alone until they got that big because I didn't have too many seeds in there and they were relatively spread out. Separating them when they are tiny is an eye-straining job.

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Keyring. My goal is to plant them today, but I need to go get 3 oz cups! Can't wait to have some plants. --DanaK

Keyring,
How long does it usually take for these lil guys to sprout?

Thanks MsC

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

hmmm I think 2-8 wks. I usually leave them for 3 months before giving up.

Oh great, I will leave them a while and not worry.
I guess they aren't instant ..like the "water monkies"...lol

Thanks so much Keyring...

MsC

Lenexa, KS(Zone 5b)

Keyring, I've gotten my seeds, too! Hope to get them planted this week. This will be so much fun, thank you!

Heather

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Keyring
Thank you so much, today I received the seeds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.