Balsam Pear and Balsam Apple Vines

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

This is our first year for this vine, and are pleasantly surprisesd.

It's gotten quite large, but think we should have gotten it started earlier for more fruit.

We planted both the Balsam Pear and the Balsam Apple, but aren't sure which is which. We assume that the round fruit is the "apple" and the long fruit the "pear". Doesn't look much like a pear, I really was expecting them to look similar.

What do you think, the long one's are about 6 inches long.

Thumbnail by Tree_Climber
Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

Here's a better view of the entire trellis where we have these growing on both sides.............

this was taken a couple of weeks ago, and it's gotten larger.

Thumbnail by Tree_Climber
San Francisco, CA(Zone 10a)

Tree Climber...

The one in the picture looks like the bitter melon I see at my local farmer's market.

I believe that is Momordica charantia, balsam pear, bitter melon, bitter gourd.

I don't think the fruit on Momordica balsamina, balsam apple gets quite as big.

Are you growing them to eat? I like bitter things; but, can't quite wrap my tastebuds around bitter melon. I think I read somewhere that the bitter substance was Quinine, which is found in Tonic, and used to be used to treat malaria.

I did try a hairy melon (Benincasa hispida) this year. It was quite tasty. A bit like zucchini in flavor, but with firmer flesh.

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

eje,

Did you see the smaller fruit in the first picture? It is kind of hidden, as it blends in with the foliage color and is much smaller.

Do you think that one is Balsam Apple?

We got the seed for both from Monticello ............ I'll have to check on that to make sure.

We're not really growing these to eat ....... my 13 year old son just thought they would be "cool", and who was I to discourage him. It is a pretty vine and a conversation starter. We're hoping we get some seed to save.

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

In the Plants database, Balsam Pear and Balsam Apple are listed as one entry. Is there little or no difference between the two?

I am wondering if the larger fruit on our vines is actually something else. Maybe it's more of a bitter melon ............ I'm totally confused.

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

It took me a while, but I finally did find pictures on the internet of a lot of varieties of Balsam Pear aka Bitter Melon. I did see on that looks like our vine with the long fruit.

That must mean that the one we have with the very small round fruit is the balsam apple.

At least now, I know how to lable them if we manage to save seed.

San Francisco, CA(Zone 10a)

The common names are confusing; but, yeah, I think you are right.

I see the smaller one and I think that must be the balsam apple. It does seem like they are very closely related, though.

This listing on freedictionary.com lists the two species with the common names you were giving.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/genus%20Momordica

They do look cool, when the fruit turns yellow and splits open to reveal the bright red seeds on the inside.

Brown City, MI(Zone 5a)

That is what my Son is waiting for............... I think the spliting open to reveal the bright red seeds is what attracted him to this plant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.