Weekend at Saltburn Folk Festival

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

I went for one of my jaunts at the weekend - to Saltburn, for its folk festival. It was on for 3 days - I only managed 2, but at least that gave me a taster. Brilliant sunshine - shame to be stuck indoors though.

Wide range of artists. Dance displays, a Punch and Judy man, musicians and singers. Last year I sang at one of the singarounds - opted for listening mode this time round. Quite a few of my favourites were there. The Wilson family - 5 brothers - who sing unaccompanied close harmony traditonal songs. Local lads and very popular.

Another local lad who's done well for himself is Vin Garbutt. He sings all over the world now. Immensely popular. Irish origin. Also a song-writer. Very very funny! My parents never thought much of him - his appearance is slightly dishevelled and vaguely scruffy. He has long curly shaggy hair.

Enjoyable weekend. Or at least it will be once my eardrums have recovered. Why do they have to have speakers on so loud????!!

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

Is that area close to you or did you have to stay overnight for the second day? It sounds like quite an exciting place to be. What kind of food do they have there? Like here, whern there are fairs, there is always cream puffs, roasted corn on the cob, fried cheese on a stick , barberques and stuff like that. First thing when I get to the fair is to head for the cream puffs!!!!!

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Quite close Maria, just about 12 miles away. Too far for me to see every event, but I saw a reasonable selection. Sadly it's a resort that is past its heyday. There's only 2 hotels now, and no B & B's. It's a very pleasant place for a day out. Apart from the beach there's also a garden that leads to a wooded area and nature reserve. Lovely wild flowers in the springtime. There's a bank with hundreds and hundreds of wild primroses!!!

Food was okay. Fairly standard cafe food.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.