Marigolds

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

This summer my daughter planted marigolds which I have really grown for a while. The 'lowly' marigold has really caught my interest again. Looking at my Stokes catalog I see so many wonderful varieties and colors. Makes me wanna try some various kinds next summer. As we all know the marigold probably is the easiest annual to grow. I was wondering if anyone has some really great favorites. I see pictures of red ones in the catalogs and wonder just how red are they? Anybody else ever rediscover an annual that you neglected to grow and then really enjoy them again. The marigold just blooms and blooms and provides so much great color.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I've never like marigolds much... they remind me of gas station and McDonalds planting ;o) But... I have started to appreciate them more for their blooming power. I like the small flowered types best. The little Signet marigolds have tiny flowers and lovely ferny foliage.

http://davesgarden.com/pdb/b/Asteraceae/Tagetes/tenuifolia///

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6a)

I don't think I've ever seen those before. Very pretty! Do you grow them from seed poppysue?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, Poppysue. The signets have caught my interest, as well. Lulu, in particular has a wonderful fragrance... pungent and lemony. I also grow lemon gem, tangerine gem, and new this year, red gem. It look much like the paprika gem that Saya has pictured in the PDB.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Interesting plant, marigolds, they seem to do well in both cool and hot climates. Have had problems with spider mites here in Texas, though.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

No spider mites here, but they can get mildewy here if we have a wet summer. The gem types (signets) seem to be a bit more forgiving.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.