More Arkansas Elk pics ...

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Went to town today .. to see our two youngest daughters and our little 'batches' of grandy-yunkins, among other things.
(When ya live a good hour from 'town', ya best make plans to 'kill as many birds as ya can, with one stone'). We'd headed out relatively early this morning, and sure nuff .. stumbled on a small herd of Elk .. but were pressed for time, so, it was no stop, no pitters. BUT, as we were coming back through the Boxley Valley this evenin' ... welllll, we jus wasn't gonna be passin' up any elkers we mite see, this time!! And lo' and behold ... there they were!
From what we understand .. this herd is one of the 'protected' Elk herds .. of which hunting is 'off limits' to in this area. As you'll be able tell in a few of these pics - many are collared.
These herds, are geared more for the elk tourists .. (and 'me', of course)!! .. hee ..
We'd long been hopin' to fetch a glimpse of some of this years calves, and sure nuff - we spyballed a couply or so! They're not any wee lil bitty guys mindja - but, they still had their spots!

The first pic .. is of the herd grazing in the local folks pastures. Some mighty pretty green grass growing, after the hay's been cut! Simply too inviting to any 4 legged grass eatin' vermin, to let be ...

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

More Arkansas Elk pics .. #2

... a bull or two .. out there somewhere! ...

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

More Arkansas Elk pics .. #3

With a few different angles of view ... Here's a bull again!

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

More Arkansas Elk pics .. #4

With a little closer look .. you can see a couple of spotted calves grazin' along!

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

More Arkansas Elk pics .. #5

The two yunguns' have gotten between the ol bull and a cow ...

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

More Arkansas Elk pics .. #6

Hmmmm .. found their 'mommies', I reckon ... hee hee

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

More Arkansas Elk pics .. #7

That .. or found another couple of 'moms', that'll do just as well, for the time being! .. lol ..

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

More Arkansas Elk pics .. #8

... See their spots?!? ...

(Beginning to 'sound' like I'm reading/quoting from one of the old 'Alice & Jerry' readers!!) ... LOL ..

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

More Arkansas Elk pics .. #9

... These little fellers (or gals-?) can't seem to make up their minds! .. hee

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

END of ... More Arkansas Elk pics .. #10

LOL .. Wellll, this pic jus splains it all ...

They done up and whooped themselves plum
out .. traipsin' back and forth across !! .. LOL ..

Thumbnail by Magpye
Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Oh my goodness, greenery , very beautiful pictures and atmosphere.

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Magpye, nice photos. Elk are one of my favorite large animals. I mentioned on your other post that I had my first opportunity to view Elk in the wild last fall, in Pennsylvania, where they re-introduced Elk in 1937. I did not see a Bull Elk but got some close-up photos of a few cows. I assume Arkansas has a fairly large herd of Elk. By the way, thank you for your response to my camera question. I did post some additional comments on my current camera following your post. How close were you to these Elk and did you use your digital zoom at all ? The close-up shots have maintained excellent picture quality.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Gorgeous critters!!
Thanks for the lovely photos Magpye. They take me into another world!
I adore those elks!!

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the wonderful comments folks ... I'll get back later to answer your other q's Linth.
No pb&J 'sammich' this time .. for it's seafood buffet nite in town! Mmm, it's not our fresh southern Luz'anna/gulf seafood cookin' .. but for the area - it's the next best thing!
I'll check later ...

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

How was that seafood buffet?? We missed a shrimp buffet due to the weather. We just found out about it and wanted to try it...oh welll...next weekend!

It must be wonderful to see these creatures out in your roadside pastures! They're beautiful! How big are they? Do other herds get hunted? Why would this herd be protected and how would a hunter know? Hehehe, sorry for all the questions.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Great pics again magpye. These elk must be transplanted western species, as the eastern elk have been extinct for some time. Where did they come from?

I found the reintroduction of Elk into the East of interest and did additional research. I was surprised at the success of the re-introduction program in Kentucky, thus far. Anyway, I came across this site that addresses the Arkansas Elk. Magpye, hope you don't mind my budding into your state history !!!

http://www.theozarkmountains.com/see_the_elk.htm

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Oh geez folks - not at all !! ... I'm glad you haint 'waited' on me - it jes mite have been a spell!! .. hee ... We've had some family in for the weekend with a house full of grandy-yunkins! So, it's only been in the last couple of hours or so .. that I had the time to go upload my pics from the last 3 days, and tinker on the pooter! That site is probably one of a few that I'd have sentcha'! .. hee

It is some mighty interesting reading about the Elk and how its re-introductions have been so successful in several states! I for one, am most pleased !! It's such a short lil trek down the mountain to go 'see the Elk' .. Especially this time of the year.

I'm not against hunting ... but we've both decided that we'd much rather sit on the porch and watch the wildlife come wonderin' by .. and, do all of our aiming & shooting .. with the camera!!! Such wonderful experiences we've had, and views we've seen .. just right here at the house!! hee

Elk hunting is allowed here in AR, but if I'm not too terribly mistaken .. I do believe thepermits issued, is based upon a type of 'lottery'(?) drawing. Folks can submit their names, etc., way in advance, and also .. I 'think' there is a limit as to just how many out-of-state'ers, etc. will be allowed. Please, don't hold to me to this one tho' .. until you guys can maybe check it out for youselves here, @ http://www.agfc.state.ar.us/hunting/elk/elk_hunting.html

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Saw one of the largest herd of Elk gathered in one place (I'd ever seen here in AR) in Boxley Valley .. while returning home yesteday evening. When I was finally able to to take a shot .. the ol great big bull elk plopped himself down into the grass to rest a spell! ... Dagnabbit !!
From what I could tell all the young'uns have lost their spots ...

Pic #1

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Saw one of the largest herd of Elk gathered in one place .. Pic #2

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Last of ... Saw one of the largest herd of Elk gathered in one place .. Pic #3

Thumbnail by Magpye

Hi Magpye . . .

Fine selection of photos . . . That's alot of Bull in pic #2 !!! I was trying to count the
number of points ??? Anyway, it's a trophy .

Fall is here with the leaves starting to change in the background. Have you heard them bugle yet ? That is an experience by itself . . .

Thanks for sharing . . .

Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

Has that bull elk being fitted with a radio collar or something? There is clearly something around his neck!

kennedyh - Magpye mentioned the "collar" in her first post and that the Elk herd is one of a 'protected' group. Since these Elk were introduced into Arkansas it is paramount to track and study their behavior in a new environment. For much of the year, the Bull Elk remains more isolated, away from the Cow and her calves. We will be shortly coming into the rutting season and the loud bugling will begin.

Below is a website that further discusses the Arkansas Elk.

http://www.theozarkmountains.com/see_the_elk.htm

I mentioned in an 8/13 post to this thread that I saw my first Elk (picture attached) in the wild last year in PA. Just happened to see them wandering among some mountain campsites. Would have preferred to see a Bull Elk but . . . I shouldn't complain. One needs to be careful this time of the year with Bull Elk. The attached recent article speaks volumes.

WATCH OUT, MAGPYE - THIS IS, AND ISN'T, A BULL STORY !!!

http://www.kirotv.com/news/3753939/detail.html

Thumbnail by linthicum
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

The elk were bugling up in our mtns two weeks ago, the last time I was up at the lake where we fish. When that sound comes down thru the valleys and across the little lake like that - it sounds so lonesome, almost like a loon across the bigger lakes back east.
Great pics Magpye, thanks once again.

This message was edited Sep 24, 2004 11:10 AM

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

A favorite place of mine, to look at wildlife, is the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge in Oklahoma...they have a lot of things there including Elk...my husband took this picture, I had just asked him, 'Where are the Elk?' and he pointed to this guy. I was surprised how big they are, and awed too. He was behind a very strong fence, and was complelty unconcerned/unaware of us, I think we were insignificant, to him...

Thumbnail by melvatoo
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Linth, people who do this sort of thing are too dumb to be walking around. They assume that whatever the animal is it must be tame it seems so used to people. Darwinism in action.

Up in the Adirondacks in the olden days we had an open dump that the bears would get visiting in the evenings toward fall. Folks would drive up to watch from the safety of their cars. Some from the relative safety of just outside the car.

One tourist got out to get a better vantage than his window allowed, walked up to about ten feet from the bear to take his pic and the light was so dim the autoflash went off. Well even a black bear is impressive when it stands up on its hind legs and roars. Tourists scattered like leaves. LOL

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

I would'a sworn I'd posted a reply to you kennedyh!! That, or I got side-tracked, and only 'thot' I had!! hee .... (sorry)

I just got thru reading that article you'd posted Linth .. And as cruel and unfeeling as it may 'sound' to some folks .. the first person probably deserved it!! I am appauled and amazed at the antics some folks try ... It's as if they sit on their heads sometimes!!

We had a similar incident on our Canada trip many years ago .. where a bunch of folks had gotten out of their cars to see a momma black bear and her cubs right along a lil hilly area, on the side of the road! Draggin' their children out of the safety of these vehicles to boot! Like it wasn't enough to be blessed with seeing the vermin right beside the roadway; take a few pics and exit. They just can't leave the wild critters alone! They've gotta get out and litterally chase the vermin down and have eye-to-eye contact! Fools .. in a nutshell!!

Could've been far worse than a few folks falling back down the hill, when the momma finally had enuff and charged them! If ya ask me, they should've suffered a few broken bones, to better remind them of the incident .. instead, a few folks got their cameras busted up from the tumble, and some minor scrapes! And then belly-ache and grumble when the animal ends up being forced to make HIS point!!

I'm always sorta carryin' on about my being a bit of a 'lunatict' with my cam'ra in hand .. but I don't rank anywhere near toting plain out stupidity and ignorance of wild animals! And what is so very sad .. it's usually the animal that pays the pennance .. for the humans' profuse lack of common sense !!

Well, I feel I don't 'rank' there .. any more anyway. On the same trip .. and only a day or two before ... we'd spotted a herd of buffalo off in a field .. so, I got the hubby to stop, and I opted to get out and go over and around a relatively large bushes to get in only a lil bit closer, and to try to fetch a much clearer shot .. They were still out there a good long way from me. Little did I know, when I made it to the other side of the large bushes .. there was one humongus ol buffalo just minding his own business laying on the ground on the other side of the brush. He was resting in the shade ... His movement of shaking his head (as if to say, "oh no, not anothurn!") is what I saw in my peripheral vision .. then he made a snort at me! My body just froze, then went limp, felt tears wellin' up in my eyes, .. and my pea brain went into "what have I gotten myself into this time!" mode !! All I could do was say a quick little prayer to ask God and the buffalo to forgive me for trespassing, and slowly backed myself back around the bush .. and then high-tailed it .. to our truck! My hubby teased me, and asked if I'd seen a booger ... I said, "yep, a big'un!" ... Then, that's when the panic set in ... I couldn't hold my camera still for nothin' .. for an hour or more, after that!! This feller could've easily pulverized me .. and I'd have never known what hit me ... till far too late!

Yep, this here is yore big ol yeller clucker, I tell ya! ... I hold my sign up high, and mitey proud !!!! .. LOL ..

Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

We had an interesting encounter with an Elk when we visited Banff in th Canadian Rockies. We went for a walk along a track just outside the town and we met a woman hurrying back towards the town. She told us that a female elk, had got her husband trapped behind a tree a bit further along the track. We said we would see if we could help, while she went on into Banff to seek further help. I think we were somewhat naive to think we would be able to help, but I picked up a large branch along the way, to at least kid myself that I has some protection. When we got there the man was still behind his tree, but I think the elk had backed off quite a bit and showed no sign of pressing home its attack. We suggested that the man back further down the slope (away from the elk) from behind his tree and then circle back up to the track. He got safely up to the track with no difficulty and the elk seemed to take no further notice of him or us. I don't think we really paid any role in his rescue, nor could have if the elk hadn't already tired of the ambush, but it made for an unusual diversion on our walk.

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

Can't believe I missed this thread first time around....

I remember when the Elk was introduced in Newton County. It was the talk of the mountains. When I left for college (1992), there was a disease outbreak amoung the Elk. A viral infection of the brain tissue (from my recollection) causing severe foaming of the mouth, stumbling gait, lost sense of direction.

Glad to see the disease didn't get the best of them.

Modi'in, Israel

Magpye, not meaning to dismiss your elk or anything, but wouldya just take a look at those gorgeous TREES in your first pic on Sept 23!!! Wow! Now that's a sight to behold! We don't get any leaf changes like that here in too warm Israel. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you are one lucky gal living where you do! :-)

-Julie

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

The colors are a bit premature tho' Julie ... It's been extremely dry this time of the year. Where there should be brilliant colors beginning .. is primarily dead and dying leaves! Hopefully the wonderful and much needed rain we got yesterday, has come in time to aid in our fall leaf display !!! The displays are only just beginning here in the Ozarks. The Black Gum trees have long turned their orange colors and some light yellowing of the Maples, but it's been mostly because of the lack of needed moisture.

Melvatoo and linth .. some beautiful shots of the Elk in OK and PA !! Glad you guys posted them !!

Linth .. I've got a few shortee videos of the Elk bugling .. from the last few seasons. And just as Blooms mentioned, and you probably know yourself also ... it is indeed quite a thrill to hear!! The bull Elk sure put a lot of 'ummpah' into their buglin' no doubt!! I keep hoping that one day that a few of them, will find their way .. on up the mountain a bit further (about 11 miles or so more) .. and we'll get to see and hear them, or at least find tell-tale tracks .. here on our property! But I'm most likely dreamin' and hopin' big time ... on that one! .. hee .. Jes never hurts to hope ...

Osteole .. you should certainly know about the elk, for sure! Beings this is near your ol 'stompin' ground!
I too, am most glad that they've managed to hang in, and have survived many threats and perils !!

Reading about the poachin' is what really sets my teeth on edge!! I know it happens most everywhere and with many animals .. but when it is such a animal as this .. it's just really disheartening, to put it lightly. A couple years or so ago .. we'd seen the carcass of one ol bull, that was laying out in the field in Boxley Valley .. and upon a little closer examination from the roadway .. we realized that someone had removed the head. We'd wondered if someone had hit the animal as it crossed the highway, and it died later .. and the Game division had harvested the head ... Then, learned later .. that it had been shot intentionally, just for his rack! That - is truly sad!! Sounds a bit ruthless I know .. but, I'd kinda like to see the low-lifes' trophy mounted above my fireplace mantel .. in those situations! .. heehee ... Geez, that does sound horrible don't it!!

Enuff of my goin' on so ... And 'thank you' .. for your replies, posts and pics too!! - mags

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

We spotted this lil feller (hee) on last Saturday .. desiring to cross the hi-way.
He got a lil apprehensive, when another vehicle stopped to spy-ball 'im also. He'd turned to head back into the brush .. paused a very short bit .. then once again, returned a lil distance .. onto the open grassy field ...

Then, as he was takin' somewhat of a run .. to get ready to jump and clear the fence (and comin' somewhat closer to us) - - a motorcycle just happened to be coming thru the valley also. When the bike came across the bridge .. the engines' noise was some gosh-awful amplified, and the bull instantly retreated and headed back into the brush .. at break-neck speed!

Somehow, on a whim and a prayer, I managed to pull a pic or two off. Got one pic of 'im in 'stride' ! heee Then the other pic, after he's in the brush, and feelin' a bit more 'calm' and still ...

Yep, they could've been better shots .. but I'm countin' my blessings, that they came out as well as they did. (all things considered!) .. hee

Such majestic pride ... in these fellers ...

- Magpye

Lone Bull Elk ... Pic #1 ...

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Lone Bull Elk ... Pic #2 ...

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

This past Thursday nite, on the way home .. we almost failed to see this feller 'in time'! He was right at the very edge of the road, when the headlights 'caught' him ...

When we slowed way down, and went on past .. we realized that he was apparently not in any kind of a big 'hurry' .. so we quickly turned around .. to go take anuther 'look-peek' at him. Drove back by and past him ... then again .. turned around - so he could be virtually right at my lens cap. And without inconveniencing him,
nor risking our being considered 'badgering' the wildlife. Don't like other folks that do that myself ... But wooo doggies, he was right there .. and, is apparently, the proverbial 'photo ham' of the Elk clan, too !! .. hee ..

Sure nuff, he continued to jes traipse along like a slug (hee), fer a spell .. while I shot all the pics me wee little heart desired! Have no idea if this is the very same 'collared' bull we'd seen only days before .. but he sure bears a 'semblance! .. ha! ... There are a number of the Elk (bulls and cows), thru that area .. that are collared. We've seen several bulls with the collars on them .. and so, 'I' don't have a clue as to who is who, etc.

He eventually decided, that his photo shoot was up ... and strolled over closer to the fence along the roadway .. and jumped over it (nah, make that .. a mere 'big step' ! hee ) ... into the dark and away from us. I was most content for/with his tolerating us a spell, and for the wonderfu photo op .. he so willingly provided me!!

Any way I look at it - - it is nuthin' shy of an utter thrill .. to be able to see them .. this, 'up close & personal' !!! There are large reflective signs all along the hiways there .. warning folks/drivers .. to watch for the Elk. And beeeleeeeve me - I DO - most willingly, anxiously, and more so .. happily !!! .. hee hee ..

- Magpye

Bull Elk 'lally-gaggin' along the hi-way at nite ... ... Pic #1 of 4 ...

This message was edited Oct 16, 2004 4:20 PM

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Bull Elk 'lally-gaggin' along the hi-way at nite ... ... Pic #2 of 4 ...

This message was edited Oct 16, 2004 4:20 PM

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Bull Elk 'lally-gaggin' along the hi-way at nite ... ... Pic #3 of 4 ...

This message was edited Oct 16, 2004 4:19 PM

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Last of, Bull Elk 'lally-gaggin' along the hi-way at nite ... ... Pic #4 of 4 ...

This message was edited Oct 16, 2004 4:18 PM

Thumbnail by Magpye

Nice Photos, Magpye. Can't get much closer !!! I just bought a new Nikon D70 Digital SLR with the 18mm-70mm and 70mm-300 lenses. Sure wish I had those Elk to practice on. It seems that it is almost impossible to get a perfectly clear photo with the 300mm lens, without a tripod. I've been increasing the shutter speed (manually) to at least 1/300 of a second and then play with the lighting on my PC. How far away were you from the Lone Bull Elk just entering the wooded area ?

Keep 'em coming !!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.