Some pics of my pots

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

I love container gardening and I'm a pot freak.
I especially love decorative concrete and terra-cota pots.
Heres some of my potted things....

Thumbnail by Cottage_Rose

I'm into "green" this year

Rocks n' Thyme

Roses & Verbena

Kitchen Window Box

Another little pot.

I love Licorice Plant!
It looks so nice all summer long!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Love 'em all!

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

they all look great

Thanks darius and Herbie :)

Naperville, IL(Zone 5a)

Love that window box. Mine are looking a bit ragged right about now. I cut back the petunias, million bells are perking up a bit again. I've decided not to use sweet potato vines in my window boxes -- I think they take up too much root space from the others -- it takes over. In my big pots the other flowers don't seem to get dwarfed by them. Maybe my window boxes should be deeper. I always try something different every year ...that's what's so good about gardening ...there is always next year and we have winter to plan it all!

Thanks YOG :)
You are right about learning what works and what doesn't. Last year i made the mistake of putting Licorice plant it my wondow boxes and it took over. I also gave up on Petunias since my experience has been once they are past their main flush even if I cut mine back they never look nice.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

CR, I love your pots...and the combinations you've used are really nice. I love container gardening but my DH thinks everything should be in the ground. :-D (I've won, so far! ;-) )
~julie~

Julie I'm kinda addicted. I want to start making my own tufa and concrete pots.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

CR, we've got a thread going on ....uh...somewhere, here. :-D We're trying to locate the fiber mesh for the hypertufa...I'll see if I can find it and I'll be back with a link so you can join us.

~julie~

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

hehehehe It was right next to THIS one...
Here's the link
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/443906/
~julie~

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Cottage Rose...love that window box...and all the other containers too!

Thanks Julie and Marcy :)

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Rose....what all is in the pot with the licorice? It is a great combination! Do you make all your pots or buy some? Seems most places here are very limited in their terra cotta pot designs. I've gotten some very nice looking pots from Arizona Pottery...where do you get yours?

Dale, I make my own pots up every May. I like to use non-typical plants (no spikes, petunias,geraniums etc. I get my pots locally at different stores.
Which photo are you inquiring about.? More than one pot has Licorice Plant in it.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

CR...Hi! :-)
Got question fer ya...
Do you know what the batanical name for the "spike" is. A friend of mine gave 4 pots that were in horrible shape...but they have a "spike-y" plant in the center with a very thick stem. I'm trying to have the picture ID'd in the Indentification forum but not much happening there at the moment.

The reason I'm asking is my nursery had a HUGE container there this spring that I fell in love with...dumb me, asked if the plant was some type of yucca (It was HUMONGOUS!) The gal there told me it was just a "spike" like a lot of people use in window boxes and mixed pots, but this one was about 4 or 5 years old and had been wintered indoors.

TIA
~julie~

Sorry Julie I don't know what they call them other than Spikes.

North Saanich, Canada

Julie, the spike you are referring to is probably a dracaena. I have grown them for several years, and because we have mild winters, they keep growing. I had some in our yard for the summer of 200o, as we had a wedding. They continued to grow and did very well, but I lost all but one this year when Victoria had a very cool week. NOt sure if it was the cold, or the wet snow, or what, but they just all rotted in the stem. I will try and find a picture for you and post it. I have so many pictures on my computer, it might take me awhile to find!!!

Glenda

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks CR...just had to ask. ;-)

Hi Glenda...I was pretty sure that Dracaena was correct. But the pictures in the PDB looked quite a bit different from these young ones I have here.

Here's the link to my post in the Identification forum:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/453982/
Take a look and see it matches yours.

Thanks for answering...it is appreciated
~julie~

North Saanich, Canada

Not a great picture, but it gives you an idea of the plant. This was taken last fall. It was the largest of the dracaena that we were able to grow. We have several more smaller ones on the go again now.

Glenda

Thumbnail by ggd
Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Glenda...that one looks a lot like the speciman I saw at the nursery. Their's was a *little* smaller. :-D Ok...a LOT smaller!

Now I'm going to check and see if I can air-layer these I have...no telling *what* is living in those pots. LOL

Thanks Glenda
~julie~

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Julie - think the botanical name for your plant is "cordyline indivisia" ....

PV

Valley Village, CA

I thought I would just drop in and say hello, I do a lot of pot growing, but mine are succulents, vegeies, and a few other things, I have a cordyline that has white flowers, and other that are not red. It you would like some please email me.

Your pots gardens are great, I tried an herb one for the first time in May, they came out okay but not as exciting as yours. Thank you for letting me peek in. Norma Lewis aka Crasulady2

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6a)

Your pots are so lovely! I love the combinations. What's in the first "green" pot? Looks like sage and what else??

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

CR ~ your containers are amazing. You are very talented!

Jen

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

cottage rose - great looking plants and pots

Thank you all for your comments and glad you enjoyed the pots! :)
That big leafed plant in the first "green pot" isn't Sage...its a tender annual related to Coleus called "Quick Silver" (Plectranthus Argentatus). You are suppose to plant it in full sun but mine seems to thrive on ½ day sun. Grows 24-30" Hardy in Z8. I love its succulent, fuzzy gray-green leaves. Sorta reminds me of Lambs Ears.
Also in that same pot, *Lacy* Dusty Miller (in back/you can't see), Orange Thyme (bottom right) and some other type of Thyme (forget now which variety/ probably lemon), variegated Licorice Plant and a little perennial ivy I forget the name of. Sorry...having a blond moment here I guess. ;)

To make pots like this simply stuff, stuff, stuff with whatever appeals to your eye I think people like it because the non-typical plants I use. There are so many neat annuals, plus aromatic herbs and such nowadays that allow you to break out of the Petunia rut.
I think next year I will make a tender herb pot with sweet basil & parsley and maybe some lettuces.

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

C.R. I agree with you...I'm SOooo sick on my petunias. Every time it rains I'm out there lifting their delicate little HAIRY butts (...I mean stems LOL ) where they've stuck and matted down, deadheading to try to keep the blooms alive, and the rest of "petunia" nonsense. I've already learned this year to plan ahead for next year. And the herbs and few decorative veggies are on my list. And one thing about using sweet basil in a decorative pot...just put the pinchings into water, and in a couple of weeks you have a new plant to replace MORE petunias with. :-D

~julie~

Julie I love Petunias but for whatever reason after their first flush even though I cut them back mine never look nice the remainder of the growing season so I gave up on them. I even tried Wave Petunais and Million Bells with no luck. :(

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Rose, I was asking about your last photo you posted, but I think you answered it as "Lacy" Dusty Miller. I thought it was perhaps Centaurea gymnocarpa 'Colcester White.'

Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

C.R. I've had fairly good luck with the Million bells. And, as long as I took special care of the waves, they did 'ok'. I think my problem was that I didn't pay close enough attention to one set of containers...not enough fertilizer, not enough water...but with over an inch of rain a week this past summer, I felt like an idiot running out to put *more* water on them. LOL

Actually, I think if I'd cut mine completely back when they first started looking spindley I might have liked them better. But since this was my first year with gardening on a "grander" scale than ever before, I was afraid to try cutting back. :-( :-D Next year I won't be nearly as "kind".

~julie~

North Saanich, Canada

Julie, I agree iwth you on the wave petunias. MIne were doing really well early on, but then started looking leggy and terrible. I cut them back, and then they did better. The ones in hanging pots ahve not done as well, but I have some planted in large pots with other things, and they have done very well.
This picture was taken several weeks ago, and that is only one plant in that pot. By the way, that is a dracaena spike in the middle!!

Glenda

Thumbnail by ggd
Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

LOL @ Glenda...a "spike" eh? Ya don't say! :-D

Gorgeous Waves there...I'll see if I can find a "before" pic of mine to post.

~julie~
P.S. Are you saving seeds, Glenda?

North Saanich, Canada

Julie, nope don't save seeds. I actually had some wave petunia seeds this winter, and never even thought to plant them after Christmas to get them going. The way things are going here, I am aiming to have way less annuals and go for many more perennials.
I am just heading out to plant some crocus and hyacinth bulbs, and some small heather plants.

Glenda

I've tried cutting mine back after their first flush even before they get leggy to no avail. Oh well, I am enjoying expanding my container gardening horizons and don't need Petunias to keep me happy. ; )

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.