magnolia budding?

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Does magnolia set spring buds in the fall like azalea does? My magnolia "Jane" has what looks like flower buds on her growth tips now, and I just wondered if she was growing more leaves for this year or maybe flowers for next year.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Well, magnolias do set their buds in the fall for the next season, but 'Jane' can bloom intermittently during the summer so those buds could open yet this season.
Mike

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Thanks Mike! Jane is a first year planting in my yard, so I thought maybe I was being too optimistic to think she might rebloom this year. I'm glad to know that she will at least bloom next year. The flowers are so pretty.

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

I noticed that my Saucer Magnolia is setting buds. I hear that a fall bloom is not nearly as impressive as the spring time ones, but would be welcome anyway. It will help to make up for all the mowing this season has caused me. ;-) I have lived in my house for 4 years and cannot recall seeing blooms other than in the spring.

- Brent

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

My Jane magnolia has buds too!

Thumbnail by Marcy_1
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

And these look like seed pods ????

Thumbnail by Marcy_1
Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

That's just what my buds look like, but I'm not sure that other one is seed pods. Pretty weird looking. How old is your Jane?

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

I think it is 3 yrs old Sylvi74. Yes..I'm sure I planted it 3 yrs ago.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.