Dark Purple Phlox?

Clearfield, PA(Zone 5a)

Is there any dark purple hardy phlox? I have never seen any but if there is some, I would like to know the name of it. Thanks! Sandy

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

creeping or tall garden phlox? Both types of mine are purple, but not very dark purple

East Barre, VT(Zone 4a)

Hugeposiepatch, I bought a tall garden flox this year that promises to be dark purple almost blue. The deer chomped it's poor little head before it bloomed, so I can't say for sure. I'll write down it's name tonight and let you know tomorrow.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I bought some phloxis supposed to be blue--but only looks lavender to me.

check this out
http://www.backyardgardener.com/mttahoma/tahoma2.html
2554 PHLOX KELSEYI “LEMHI PURPLE”

Clearfield, PA(Zone 5a)

hczone6, Tall garden phlox is what I'm looking for.

leisurlee, I'll be glad to know the name of your phlox.

Wandasflowers, I have the king and also Frans Shubert but neither one of them are as dark purple as I would like to have.

echoes, Is that dark purple--it looks blue to me. Thanks for looking!

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

I have some that has probably cross-polinated with other colors and it's sort of purple. The bees mix this stuff up so much, it's hard to say what color it'll be next year :)

Thumbnail by hczone6
Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

hczone - oooo I like that purple!

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

Yeah...but it might be pink next year!...lol Well, I think the different colored ones are the ones that pop up from seed nearby. I have a white/pink nearby and I think the bees mix things up.

East Barre, VT(Zone 4a)

hugeposie, I finally remembered to go out to the garden and grab the tag for my purple phlox. It's Phlox Paniculata Blue Boy. I don't know if it promises to really be deep purple because, thanks the the deer, it won't bloom this year, but the picture shows a beautiful deep purple. It's got gorgeous deep foliage too. Hope you find it!

Clearfield, PA(Zone 5a)

leisurlee, I'll check on that next week after our computer is fixed. Thanks! Sandy

Medford, MA

I too would love to find a deep purple phlox to overhang my rock wall. Not pinky-purple, not bluish-purple, not lavender, but deep purple. If anyone finds some would you let me know where. I have asked at all the local nurseries and noone seems to know if such a phlox exists.

I thought I saw some in a yard in Arlington, Mass. Next time it blooms I'll try to get a picture and add it here. Maybe it isn't phlox! Is there another similar plant that is a good rock wall "drape" that is dark purple?

Enjoy the fall!

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Was doing some late night web browsing and happened upon some interesting websites. Found this purple phlox that might be of interest to you Sandy.....

http://gbni.glasshouse.nl/prg/gbni?FIRM=FLOWERBASE&LNG=EN&DP=detail&BASEON=BOTANICAL&GEHELE_NAAM=%2525&ZOEKARG=phlox+paniculata&PREVIEW=on&ROWSPERPAGE=25&sql1_startrow=13

Clearfield, PA(Zone 5a)

Brenda, I got a couple of phlox plants coming yet from Wayside gardens but I think I will have to quit ordering plants this year. It was 40 degrees here this morning. Winter is on it's way. Next year I am going to order lots of different kinds of phlox. I like the fragrance! Thanks for searching for my purple phlox! Sandy

Washington, DC(Zone 7a)

HCzone! THAT's what happens! LOL I thought I was going crazy because it SEEMED that I forgot from one year to the next what color the phlox would be. I labeled them, and thought I'd labeled them wrong. Certainly there are a lot of just plain pink phlox in my yard, but I also have white with little red inside; and pure white, and one or two as purple as the photo shown here. And it hurts me so to have to weed them out and throw then away each year. Always afraid I'd lose a white or puprle one. Actually, its more dark reddish than purple. No matter what color, I love my phlox and have taken to just peel off mildewed and/or dried leaves. They don't seem to mind standing there with a bare stem. All mine come from one single pink one a neighbor gave me many years ago. Knees in Washington, DC

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.