'shoe- Thanks! & some Cuke questions

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Another cuke thread, ya'll.... this is Trombocino and lemon cukes this time.

Got my seeds today, thank you so much! Can't wait to get them in the ground.

How many hours of sun does a cuke need? My Japanese are sorta in a corner and I want to grow these up a fence, just need to pick the correct fence!

Thank you thank you thank you again!

Also- you know there aren't trombocinos in the PDB that I could find and I could swore that I have seen pics of yours..... ; p

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hmmm....I thought I put some trombo pics in there, too. I'll check on it.

Cukes and sun...? You should feel safe growing them where you grow your maters and peppers, sunwise. I grew some this year up last years Christmas tree, they loved it!

Off-hand, 6 hrs of sun would be sufficient for your cukes. And I assume you have nice warm weather for them?

I bet you also have plenty of season left to start your trombocino seeds. 50 or 60 days (once they've declared) should bring you some good eatin'!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Yeah- it just started getting hot here! I nabbed a nice climbing frame out of the alley for the cukes- a spring from a baby bed! LOL

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Ya done good! Ya done real gooood!

Will be waiting for pics of this one! :>)

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

~gonna have yourself a real bed for those cukes!

My poinsetta cukes are growing up a bedspring, I do wish it was king sized...

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

LOL, Tamara!!

(had to clean the monitor there, sorry)

In my intense multi-continental research, I have learned that the bedspring is an international agricultural implement used in many useful situations from the 'gate', a 'plug in a fence hole', the 'climbing support and even the odd 'hay palette'. Use of said bedspring does occur in every culture which uses bedsprings as a means of supporting their mattresses.

; )

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

...a matress.... hmmm, interesting concept....you place it on a bedspring?..., sounds good, but how do the cukes get any sunlight under there, and will the bed-bugs damage the foilage?

:=O sorry, couldn't resist...

I planted three trombocini seeds (I got on DG), so lets keep each other posted on how they are growing. I was told they really take over quickly, so you'd better have something up your sleeve besides a bed spring, ANY size!

Mine are at the end of my bean trellises, and beans didn't come up on that end anyhow, so I just didn't replant them. The trombocini vines will (hopefully) climb up the rebar tripods at the end, then they can go across the top of the trellis, which are ten foot long each. If they really get out of hand, they can keep going to the next set of trellises. They will definitely be competing with the beans, but competition is a healthy thing LOL, and anyway, the beans have got it too easy in a bed of hay, each with their own twine. Spoiled rotten brats... they'll just have to share with the trombone section...

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

I think that I will let the lemon cukes have the bedspring and put the trombocino in another bed that has a 10 ft. windmill in the middle. My yellow pear grape tomatoes are there now but they are on the way out fast (plus I am not crazy big on their mealiness and flavour).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.