Just got back from the Redwoods

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Took a few days off and drove down to Crater lake in south central Oregon and than on down to northern California to visit the Redwoods. Here is a link to a few pix of the trip.
http://www.geocities.com/rikerbearnw/TravelPix.html

Just had to bring a baby tree home with us. It's about 3 ft now and very strong. Planning to plant it in the far back corner of our property....where it can grow as tall and as big as it can. I know we won;t see the end result, but hopefully others will when we're gone.

RikerBear

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

rikerbear

you have just been to my neck of the woods
i love the redwoods
oldest grandaughter also had to take a young
redwood home the last time visited

Dick

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Your lucky Dick to live in such a beautiful part of the world.
I would never tire of seeing those magical forests.

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

RikerBear: Seattle ain't to shabby of a place to live either. I used to have an office that looked out on Mount Rainer. Sure beats my view of the toll road here in Reston.

- Brent

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh I agree.....but you know "the grass is always greener....."

SC, MT(Zone 5a)

It has been a long time since I have gone there but there is something you never forget about that enchanted forest. I can close my eyes and see it all...I can even smell it. Wish I could have gone with you.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I have yet to hear anyone say anything negative about these magical forests......they truly enchant all who see them.

Battle Ground, WA(Zone 8a)

RikerBear: I'm south of you in Battle Ground, WA, just across from Portland. I am just getting ready to plant 5 coast redwoods on part of our acreage. 4 of them are a green variety and one wants to blue. Though they are only 8' or so tall right now, I am assuming over the next ten years or so they should get much more substantial. Don't you just love the bark on those trees? We already have several giant sequoias and a weeping sequoia in other areas (we're on 5 acres) and love them all! Like you, I find a trip through the redwoods absolutely breathtaking. But then so is a visit to Heronswood!
Bill

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

Loved the pictures. Pity I'm so far away...
Mike

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh Bill I would love to see pix of the babie now and than an update later.....I'm sure they will look wonderful when grown in some. Your own little grove....how wonderful. Our lot is just to small for more than the one. We do have other trees, but of the smaller varieties.

Mike, you may be far away from the Redwoods, but you're a lot closer than we to Germany's Black Forest.
Truly another of the world's most enchanting and magical forests.

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

It's funny, I studied German while at school and heard stories of the Black Forest (Schwarzerwald [?sp]). I have travelled fairly widely in Europe, but never there... must make the trip...
Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.