certified arborist course

Richmond Hill, GA(Zone 8b)

I just found out that there's a certified arborist course starting up near me this July. I was just wondering if anyone had taken this course and if so, what did you think about it? Thanks!

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Pete: Who's offering the course? I'm an Advanced Master Gardener but would love to take a course. Theres a large demand for aboorist's here in Michigan.

Hi Paul!

Here's the requirement information to take the test, Paul. I called them and I don't qualify to take the test. There's no point in me taking the course if I can't qualify to take the test. To take the test you have to have worked in the tree business for 3 years or have a degree in tree physiology or horticulture. There are some other professions that would enable you to take the test as well. My biology major in college was not good enough. A Master Gardener does not automatically qualify to take the test. I asked her about that. You might call them and ask to speak with the lady that approves all those that take the test and give her your background and work experience. She did tell me that if you worked at Walmart (or the equivalent) in the garden department for 3 years, you would qualify to take the test. Go figure that one out and if you do figure it out, please explain it to me! LOL Good luck to you!

This lists the requirements for the test and other information.
http://www.isa-arbor.com/conferences/cert-app.html

Here's the list of cities where the exam will be held but it is not complete because Savannah wasn't on the list and the course starts in July and the exam is August 21st. I would call and check to see if a course is being offered in your area:
http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/conferences/cert.html

Terri

Richfield Springs, NY(Zone 4a)

Hey, my family, on my wifes side, just recently evolved from living in trees. Does that qualify me, Terri?LOL

Yup, it sure does, Frank! Sounds like there's been enough tree "handling" to qualify you to take the course AND the test! ROFL!!!

PS. I won't tell Beth you've been talking about her family _if_ you send me a gift in the mail. ROFLMAO!!!!

Frank, YOU should take the course! You've been to horticulture school and would definitely qualify for the test. Why don't you take it? I think it would be very interesting. What do you think?

Terri

Richfield Springs, NY(Zone 4a)

The commute would be killer!LOL!

You know what? I've decided I'm going to take the course even if I can't take the test. What the heck! If I start selling trees and sell them for the next 3 years, I'll qualify to take the test. OR, I could go work at a nursery for a few hours a day. One way or the other, I'm going to take that #!$*@&$ test! Yup, I'm a determined female! LOL

Terri

Powhatan, VA(Zone 6b)

I just recently received my nurseryman's certification. This sounds like a similiar deal. However the requirements for taking the course and test were not as stringent. I do have a Master's horticulture I received 20 some years ago and I now work in the industry so it was not hard for me.

I'd say take the course you should learn a lot.

puttyrat

Thanks, puttyrat. I'm definitely going to take the course. I'm a tree-lover anyway and I know I would really enjoy the course. I wish I had a nickel for every tree I've planted in my life. But I have to say that my pride and joy is an elm tree I planted about 8 years ago. It's the most beautiful tree you've ever seen!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.