PHLOX Grandma's Favorite!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I love the soft flowered heads of phlox in my beds at this time of year. Phlox is a great veritical accent for your daylily/iris beds and keeps blooming into the fall. Grandma only had 2 colors, but we have lots of them available now.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

The white phlox David will grow in sun or part shade. I enjoy the white mixing with the last of my season's daylilies.

Starfire was an addition to my yard last year. The brilliant fuscia color is tall and hard to miss! I deahead the blooms to keep the color going into the fall.

crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

beautiful flowers Wanda. My moms garden also has the tall graceful phlox in a sharp pink

Tina

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Beautiful phlox, Wanda. How tall does the pink phlox get? I just love that!
Terrie

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Starfire sure is a bright one! I got that in a trade last year or the year before. It sure stands out in the garden. I am ashamed to admit I ripped out most of my other ones for being ground hogs. :O

Proctorville, OH(Zone 5b)

Wanda, How do you divide your phlox? I know it seeds. & early on I broke off 3 pieces & stuck them in the ground. (Bull in the china shop syndrome)
They grew great... But Could I do that now?

And Can I dig down for a piece of root without digging up the whole plant?
I would really appreciate the advice... & Do I need to start a new thread? LOL

trunnels--the pink old one gets 4-5 feet tall. The clumps rarely have any problem with mildew. I gave all my extras to a friend here with a new garden, otherwise I'd offer you one.

I dig the whole root out & then split with my hand to get new ones. Yes, you can break off stems, stick them in the ground & root them. Just make sure 2-3 segments are in the dirt & don't lert it dry out. When I propagate mine, I do it in pots so I can keep them damp as they're rooting. Take off the blooms too, they suck alot of energy out of the new plant that you will need for new roots.

The butterflies find the brilliant heads of phlox easily. I love them in my garden!

I've been pretty pleased with Frans Schubert this year. Good sized heads that stand up well to the wind and Walker the Wonderdog running by the fence.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

That is so sweet of you to offer (if you had extras), Wanda. I'll keep my eye out for them in the nurseries. Or, maybe I can find seeds.

Proctorville, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks Wanda... I knew you'd know...i just wanted big dividends this year... but I will wait to dig & divide..
that will get them going great. Thanks

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

Does anyone know the name of a salmon colored phlox? I traded so heavily in the past ( phlox in general )and seem only to have the pinks and "David" and "Bright Eye?" left for this season (or maybe that patch was a die-back?)
Drat-will have to look again and post for a re-trade, if no name available.

ooh--Salmon color would be nice. Tell me if you find any. I have lots of goodies to trade. Here is Laura--one of the newer varities that have white star-shaped eyes.

Wanda-what I will try to do is to re-connect with some of the folks that I traded with to see if I sent them some of mine and if they would trade some back. I hate when I trade out of something..but my garden is not what you would call organized.

It happens to us all!

I spent the winter hunting down tags & organizing an Excel database on my daylilies & irises. I named each of my beds and listed their contents. Discovered all kinds of duplicate clumps I'd forgotten over the years! It was like a treasure hunt. I had to go out 3 times to find them all! I still have one mystery clump. I moved it at least twice into new beds & it didn't bloom this year. Must be an early one and got nipped by late frost.

Lakeland, MN(Zone 4a)

I have only grown one kind of phlox. It never did well and suffered from powerdery mildew. I have shyed away from them ever since. Sounds like you guys have no problems with them. Is there something I should do different. Or, was it just the variety I grew?

Mine do best in as much sun as possible, and lots of air flow.
For me, some years are just better than others. I have has good success this year with all, esp, David; but last season- I even had some mildew on that one.

I have to grow mine in with short cultivars like iris or daylilies so they get plenty of breezes. And I thin them down to 4-5 stems instead of a thick bunch. Good air flow will stop the mildew from forming or lessen it's impact. Many of the new cultivars are mildew resistant too.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Wanda your flocks are beautiful. I don't know much about them. Are they invasive at all?

No, not invasive adding only a few stems a year.
They are narrow at the base and full at the top. I add a cage for support since the rain makes the blooms very heavy.

I like them with daylilies/iris because they add more color & height. The color can be light pink to rose to fuscia to lavender to white. Very tough. Only downfall is mildew--need lots of air. I put them at the back of my fence rows or the edge of my deep beds. I thin to 4-6 stems per clump to give more air. They're tall, old fashioned & I love them.

I f you deadhead, they'll bloom from July to frost.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.