Beginner Question

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

I was told that african violets are strictly a houseplant. I have very few places in my home with enough light, so I was wondering if I could put them on my front porch. It faces the north and is shaded by an oak tree.

Jennifer

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Hiya Jennifer,
African Violets are the perfect house plant.
I don't think AV's would do very well in outside our TX heat, you would also have to contend with tons of bugs and fungus' among other many other things. AV's actually enjoy the same conditions we are comfortable in... 70-75 temps, bright indirect light and about 50 o/o humidity and no bugs....The variegated varieties like it a little cooler and loose their varieagtion when too warm.

Now, if you really want to grow them outdoors the area you have selected sounds like a good spot during our very short spring and fall like weather. You might try some of the older species varieties as they are a little closer to the original plants collected from the natural enviroment.
One thing for sure...they are so inexpensive you could certainly try it with a few and if you lost them at least you haven't spent a lot of money....lol

Keep us posted on what you decide to do...
MsC

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

I think I've decided not to buy any African Violets until I can figure out a place to put them inside. My house is so dark, but you're right about the Tx heat. We'll figure out something. Thank you for the advice.

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Jdee if you can find a spot in the house for a small florescent light ( $8-10 ),
they grow very well under them and bloom, too. I also have a few of mine under a lamp with 100wt bulb in the livingroom as an accent....it seems to grow just fine. Maybe if space is an issue for that, then how about a mini...they are just 4 inches....heck I even have a Micro mini that is less that 2inches...lol
Or you could try them on your porch and maybe use an old aquarium for a terrarium to keep in?

Keep me posted I hate to see you give up...besides that they are only about $2.oo at Walley World so even if you lost it you could replace it like an annual.. just some thoughts to help you out.
MsC

In my office, I used a bookcase and put those long plant lights from Wal-Mart (around $10 each) on each shelf and lined some of my violets and other tropicals on the shelf in front of the lights. The lights aren't even hanging over the top of the plants and they are thriving. I've found that AV's are easier than I once thought. Good Luck if you try.

Susan

Paris, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't given up, just thinkin' and plannin'.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.