Tiny orchid

Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

Compare the flower size to my finger. This orchid is Gastrochilus japonicus. Although the flower is very small, it's a decent orchid-like flower:)

Thumbnail by goldenfish
Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

Close-up

Thumbnail by goldenfish
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil(Zone 11)

How nice. I love the smaller orchids. I have a Pleurotallis that is much, much smaller than that. The flowers can be measured in milimeters: http://davesgarden.com/t/416741/

Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

I'm happy to know you love small orchid, too Monocromatico. Your micro orchid is very interesting. Could you indentify it? Every time when I observe a small orchid (or plants) I'm surprised by plastic forces in nature:)

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil(Zone 11)

I couldn't ID it yet. I have preserved some flowers in alcohol, but didn't bring it to an expert, as I planned. I have a tiny Bulbophyllum in the same situation (I can't remember if I posted it here too). I have yet 2 other species of Pleurotallis that never bloomed.

I had 2 Phymatidium and a Polystachya that used to bloom constantly, with tiny white flowers, but they didn't resist the harsh microclimate of my porch. I recently say some cute Phymatidium tillandsioides growing wild in a forest near here and got tempted to collect some that had fallen on the ground, but thought about it again and decided to not do it, since I would kill that too afterwads.

Now I acquired a small Sphronitis cernua, but didn't see the flowers yet.

I love the tiny orchids. They seem to have more details and colors than the big ones. I never get tired of observing them.

Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

Monocromatico,

All tiny orchids which you have (and had) sounds good for me. A tiny Bulbophyllum is very interesting! All of your tiny orchids are rarely-offered in markets in Japan. Please cherish to grow them and when they bloom, please be sure to post the flowers. I decide to collect Japanese or Asian native:)

Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.