ADENIUMS - I have lots of babies growing!!! The ULTIMATE Fat

cawston, Canada

I imported some seed, and it germinated VERY well!!! So I have lots of babies of
Adenium Arabicum
Adenium Obesium
as well as a few of a couple other varieties. I keep telling my husband I NEED a greenhouse...now with so many babies needing individual pots...it is SERIOUS (one way to get a greenhouse!)

Anna
zone 7

Kermit, TX(Zone 7b)

anna, those are so perdy.. you willing to part with one itty bitty baby? LOL ;0)

What are you going to do with all of them? I got 10 seedlings off Ebay for a very good price, all different colors, variegations and they're coming along great!

Susan

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

I bought quite a few of them also from Phil at Cornell University. He sells them on eBay and has them for a super good price: 10 for $15. I'm going to wait and see what color they are before I give any away. They will make great gifts someday when they are in flower.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
San Juan, PR(Zone 10b)

Hi my friends,i need some advices on how to take care of seeds so they can germinate.How long does it take?

Geneva, FL(Zone 9b)

Phil runs that special on Ebay often. It is worth it as I got several gorgeous reds and a couple of other cool shaped ones from 2 batches of the seedlings. The sprouting is done for you, they are usually at least 6-20 inches tall, they are cheap, and, you can get awesome blooms--what more could you ask ?

I have bought from him, and he from me. He is a very solid person to deal with and is very friendly and helpful.

Brad

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

I await Phil's A. multiflorum seeds. Also getting in A. arabicum seeds. Anyone up for adenium seedlings trading (when the weather around these parts warms up, of course)? We're supposed to go down to negative temps, and that's without wind chill-- brrrr!

This message was edited Feb 11, 2007 11:13 AM

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Does anyone have Phil's EBAY link that they could DMAIL me (I will forget to look here!).

Copenhagen, Denmark(Zone 7b)

Fresh seeds germinate 90-100%!

Use a sterile growing medium with good drainage, sow the seeds horizontally on top, pressing them very gently into the medium to make good contact. Spray with water to moisten the medium (do not soak it!) and cover the seeds with a thin layer of medium, quartz pebbles ect. Spray again.

Cover the pots with a transparent plastic bag (or put them in a small "indoor green house" for the windowsill) to maintain a high humidity. Now you need a warm spot - 75 to 80 F. At 85 to 95 F you get (if the seeds are fresh) very fast germination (2-4 days) but the risk of mould/fungi is definitely higher. The seeds should germinate after no more then 9 days - normally within a week.

Best regards,

Martin, Denmark

This message was edited Feb 10, 2007 1:01 PM

Thumbnail by MartinDK
San Juan, PR(Zone 10b)

Thanks a Lot MartinDK !!! That's the best explanation a newbie like me can get !!!.Highly detailed and pretty easy to understand,thanks again !!!

Bolline, you're welcome. Growing Adenium is easy and fun. However, be aware of the danger of rot! Adenium plants dislike cold and damp conditions which quickly leads to root rot. Always use a fast draining growing medium and place the plants in a sunny spot with good air movement.

In Denmark where the climate is mild /coastal temperate (never particular cold nor hot), you can grow them outside in full sunlight during the summer. This way they thrive though we never see the explosive growth like species grown in tropical climates.

Best regards and good growing,

Martin

This message was edited Feb 11, 2007 10:32 AM

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Martin, do you ever spray the seeds with Physan to prevent rot while they are under the plastic? I just started some A. arabicum seeds this very morning in a mini-greenhouse; it's on a heat mat and in a southern window. I sprayed the medium with some Physan to moisten it.

Hello bbinnj,

I have never used chemicals to prevent rot. Some say it has an effect on the germination rate. However, I always give the potting soil a few minutes in the oven. ;-)

Best regards,

Martin

Bolline, btw, after the seeds have germinated you should remove the plastic wrap to ensure air movement.

Best regards,

Martin

San Juan, PR(Zone 10b)

Wow ! I forgot to ask you about that ! You think in everything,thanks again :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.