Climbing rose for xeriscaping

Port Lavaca, TX(Zone 9a)

I've started a new xeriscape garden and would like to plant a climbing rose by an arbour. Are there any that require less water?

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

If you find one, I would be interested in knowing what it is. I don't know much about roses but I am looking into xeriscaping myself. If I find one, I'll post it on here.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

My book says for a xeriscape garden use Rosa banksiae (Lady Banks Rose)
That's the only rose it mentions but I am sure there must be more.:)

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks Crimsonsava, I didn't realize it but there is a thread on this subject. I don't know how many of these mentioned are climbing though. http://davesgarden.com/t/52486/

Mesilla Park, NM

I just saw this and crimsontsavo is right on, those Lady Banks Roses are astounding, and grow rampant after the first year, at first they do need lots of water to get established especially if you get reallly hot weather like we do here (100's to 117 for several weeks during the summer), after the first year, they are survivors.

They do come in white, yellow and those are the only two I've seen. Again, they do spread out, so you have to tie them and train them all the time to stay in the shape you want, we just let ours grow like showers of rain, that is what they remind me of. They are also very easy to root from cuttings. This was one of the very first things I tried to root and just stuck some into some soil and watered. I didn't know a thing about rooting anything. And it took. Now that I think I know a little more, they probably won't root for me.lol.

Port Lavaca, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Gourd, Lady Banks was also recommended in the Corpus Christi Area Garden Council Book, also. But I've decided to try Pinkie because it's been recommended several times by people in my area (Port Lavaca, Victoria). I'm afraid I don't have enough room for Lady Banks and I don't want to have to be cutting it back all the time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.