Help please! My Coleus look like Jack and the Beanstalk!

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

I just can't figure it out! How to prune coleus to keep them bushy. I plant them...fine...a couple of weeks later I nip the terminal bud...fine....I clip a branch and it forks out, but then all of a sudden I have a tall leggy plant with leaves at the top. What am I doing wrong??? If I cut back the one with two leaves at the top it would then become a stub...would it grow out? How oh how can I keep them within reason size wise and not scraggly? The plants I got from Rosy Dawn were great...a bit skinny, but great. I planted them and tended to them...not much fertilizer and I end up with coleus with beautiful tops but nothing down below. HELP!! Some are in pots, some in the ground.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I cut mine off and leave 2-3 leaf joints. I root the cut off pieces then replant them next to the mothers. The piece you leave behind will grow new leaves. I'll have to look to see if mine are branching. If it makes you feel any better, all of mine are huge, the sun and shade ones. We have been having the weirdest weather!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I don't do anything to mine. Must say I have some that are taller and leaner than others, but a lot of mine grow like the ones planted in this barrel under a brug. I don't pinch any of them, but do try to break off the blooms once in a while, once they start showing up.

Thumbnail by Brugie
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Shirley, did you take that pot out of my yard? LOL My camera cord is messed up or I would post the *evidence*. :)

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Dang, that trip from Ohio was a tough one. The oak barrel got a little heavy getting it into the back of my truck and up to my deck after arriving home, but as you can see, it made the trip quite well. LOL!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL Shirley! Peggy gave me a bunch of huge pots and I did the same thing with them.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Michele, now I'm trying to figure out how I can hold them over the winter. Them and about 300 other plants.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Brugie...you could pack them up and send them on a Florida vacation! I could be the head babysitter! But I fear after a winter here, they would be too big to fit back in their packing boxes!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Maybe I should do that and then you could send me back cuttings early in the spring. LOL! Right now I have enough to keep me busy until November. Hopefully I'll have time to take a bunch of cuttings. I should be doing that right now instead of sitting in front of the computer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.