question about restoring OS or complete reformat.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Hi all I am going over to my sisters to "help" fix her computer. I do know enough about computers to get me into trouble just not enough to always get me out but I catch on pretty quick so I am willing to give it a shot.

Background. Computer is about 6yrs old but big enough to do what she needs done if it is working right. Runs Win98 IE and Outlook ---- Yes I will get her switched over to foxfire and tell her she has to use it or else.

She called a week or two ago and said her computer was going S_L_O_W..... I did the basic.. tempfile, cookies, scandisk, defrag (the last 2 did not work but I didn't have time to do anything else) Anyway 2 days ago it "stopped running altogether. "

She has a restore disk for win98 Will this clean out all the junk that has accumulated or do I need to format the hard drive and reinstall all her stuff? Obviously I prefer the 1st option and just reinstall windows but I also want it to work for her. Or is there something else you would do??

I also discovered that her Norton had expired IYHO should she reup her subscription or is there something better out there now?

This thread has 23 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!