Sword vine

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Anybody have any information on this vine, going to pdb right now, but I think I went there once and it wasn't listed there. wanted to know if it was perennial, friend gave me the seeds, and their doing fantastic, needed to know what to do next. ground, pot. or what?

kathy_ann

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

kool looking vine ya got there...Huge looking leaves too....wish I had some info for ya...

Im sure someone will come along soon and help...there are some really neat folks here

Hugs Carol

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Kathy_ann,
a friend sent me 1 big pink bean this spring & I planted it & am now getting blooms & have 1 seedpod forming. The ants are as thick on this as they are on my snail vine. They just love to chew the buds off to get to the sap, but I don't smell a fragrance on these like the snail vine. Anyway, it is called many names I discovered, but the proper name is Canavalia. I am growing my 1 vine in a pot, probably a 5 gal., maybe bigger. Not sure. It likes full sun & I water it everyday here, but that is because I water EVERYTHING everyday here, not because I noticed it drooping or anything.
Here is a picture of a bloom & the pod.
Hope that helped,
Donna

Thumbnail by PudgyMudpies
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

That's neat looking, I'm planning on putting mine in a big pot too and overwintering it in the greenhouse, with all the vines I have going, I'm gonna have to get upinto the rafters to pick off seed pods LOL. Won't that be a hoot, I didn't find out if it was a perennial , i'm guessing it's not though

I looked up Canavalia in the pdb it came up, also as beach bean and jack bean, definitely not a perennial darn, oh well, should have some fun with it though. the leaves are huge and healthy, will have to watch the ants. their bad here too.

kathy_ann

thanks for the help guys

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I had five bean of those that I planted below one of those martin house poles. All five sprouted and they were doing beautifully. They had grown all the way up the pole(15ft) and were loaded with buds.
That same week I noticed buds, we had hired some people to come mow our lawn, since we were so busy getting ready for our first garden party.
You guessed it! They were weedwacked and chopped just above the soil. The next day even the roots were dead.
I cried...
Having to live vicariously through your pictures...
Thanks for posting those pictures.
-seedpicker_TX

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

oh man, seedpicker That's terrible, hope you gave them a piece of your mind.

kathy

Nope...I didn't even notice until the next morning, after they'd had time to dry out and turn brown, and those guys were long gone...
They were hired from our "Day labor" station. They were not with a company.
The day labor station is our city's solution to the crowds of (primarily Spanish immigrants from nearby Mexico) people who previously hung out at Home improvement parking lots, and gas stations, looking for extra work. The city finally organized a place where they can all hang out and be put on a list. We try to hire from there to help them out, and it is nice to periodically hire a 'gardener for a day', as most of them are very skilled and handy, and know how to do all kinds of things from brick work, construction, concrete, gardening -you name it. And, they usually work very hard for their money.
I thought EVERYONE knew how to run a weedwacker, especially them, since that is there number one hired request, ---but not this boy...
-seedpicker_TX

Anyone besides Donna getting any blooms, yet?
I wanna see! I'll have to live through you guys this year! lol...
-seedpicker_TX

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

not me, yet, mine is in the greenhouse now climbing up into the rafters, LOl but no blooms yet.

kathy

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

I have several huge seed pods Ivan didn't get lol. How long before they are ripe? Has been well over a month now. One is about 12" long but not as fat as the one shown

Thumbnail by DonnaB
smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

what is the proper name for this.....it sure is a biggun....i would like to see what if i can find some seeds or something...i looked up sword vine and cant seem to find anything

cindy

Canavalia gladiata-
just found seed source at Banana tree http://www.banana-tree.com/Product_Detail~category~20~Product_ID~18931~StartRow~1.cfm

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Wait SeedPicker don't buy any. I found another pod today so I should have enough for you too if they ever get ready.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

thanks for the link seedpicker. there are sevral varieties of this one. i have been looking for some sources for these but couldnt find any. i was looking for them by jack bean maybe now i will have luck. i know of four different ones so far.

This message was edited Sep 24, 2004 12:46 PM

DonnaB-OK! ☺
I'll wait ♥
Just didn't know if I could get any and was so unhappy about mine being weedwhacked, that I wanted to have a back up. I would much rather trade.

Imzadi-
They have the jack bean, too. It is a white bean, while the gladiata is a pink bean. The pink bean is more of a vine, the white is more of a bush bean.
Horseshoe has pictures of the white jack bean in the PDB.

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

Mine made flowers back in spring...I'm currently waiting for mine to dry. I know I took photos of the flowers, but I can't find them now. :-(

Thumbnail by QueenB
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

holy cow queenb, I had no idea the seed pods were that big, mine are just now starting to bud up. hoping to bloom soon, and get seed pods, it's growing in the greenhouse and climbing up into the rafters now, so maybe I'll get some seed pods off mine too,

kathy

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

They're not just big, but heavy too. When they dry, they lighten up, but then turn to brick. I imagine you probably could use the thing as a sword!

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

wow what a pod. wow again.

thanks for the Advice Seedpicker.

do the humming birds like the flowers? or are they more a butterfly loving flower?? just curious.

(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

Queen B. Am I still on the list to get some of those HUGE seeds?..lol...
Nadine

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Queen will you have any seeds to spare

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

I'll have a few trades once I get those out to people I've promised them to--like Nadine! ;-) (Please, don't hold my mom for ransom...!)

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

I am curious as to where the name sword vine comes from. That bean looks more like a club than a sword, QueenB.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Hey, Look, a seed pod on my sword vine, That's not why I took the picture, but thought I'd post it here since that cute little frog is on the sword vine. he's white.

LOL

kathy_ann

my sword vine is huge, up in the ceiling of the greenhouse and blooms all over it. If you look real close you can see little black dots on the flowers, it's those odorous ants looking for honeydew LOL

kathy

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

oh darn, forgot the picture, LOL old age I guess

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

kathy-ann, If you have an extra seed I would like to make a trade for it. (FINGERS CROSSED)

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

This is a very nice plant .glad you started this thread.I had never seen one before

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

LOL I've never seen a white treefrog, although I have seen the ones that resemble tree bark.

http://www.bbspvo.org/animals/factsheets/amphibians/aphotos/copegraytreefrog.jpg

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Too cool Kathy I have never see a white tree frog either.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I thought it was pretty neat looking too LOL he's been in the gh for a while now unless there's more than one, will keep an update on the seed pods, there's lots of flowers, no other pods yet. maybe they'll all produce pods since it's growing in the greenstalk, I may have to climb the vine to get to some LOL

kathy

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

WOW kathy_ann if you have any seed to spare I sure would love a couple, be glad to pay postage.
Doris

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

it will be a while before their ready.

I will post back here when I have some

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.