I'm going to be in England then Ireland

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Hi everyone, I haven't really frequented this forum, but I know most of you from other forums.
I will be going to a "overseas home exhibition" in Birmingham Sept 3 thru 5, then to dublin for an exhibition on Sept 11-12.
If anyone can make it, I would love to meet you all.
I will be at 'NOKTA REAL ESTATE"S stand, we sell homes in Bodrum to English and Irish people.
Here are some photos for you all to see what we are selling

Thumbnail by pebble
Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

here is another picture - these houses are selling like hot cakes, the prices just went up to 45,000 pounds or 64,800 euros. three bedroom, 3 bathroom villas.....you cant get any better than that can you??? 2 swimming pools, children's playground, 1 km to the beach.......

Thumbnail by pebble
Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

Pebble, I heard on radio that there were some earthquakes in Turkey yesterday, in Bodrum! Did I hear right? Are you all ok?

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Evert, yes, many many earthquakes. the day before yesterday, throughout the day, we were having small ones, well, like 4 point something, then yesterday morning about 5:30 there was a very strong one, it woke me up, and all day yesterday and today we have been having small ones....
They are starting to get on my nerves. I usually just sit through them calmly, and wait them out.

Evert, I can't imagine that we made the news in far away countries....I hope it doesnt hurt the tourist trade here.....

How are you Evert, any plans to come to Turkey? my kids are having a wonderful time, going to the aqua park once a week, they go the beach, they go sight seeing. My son brought a girl friend to spend the summer with us, so they are constantly going somewhere. they are always so tired at the end of the day!

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

Oh, hope nothing bad will happen. We don't have any earthquakes here, nor hurricanes.. But cold winters ;)

Right now weather is great here, so hot and sunny, it rained a lot last week and rivers were flooding (even quite near us) which is really rare in Finland. I were on our summer cottage when I heard the news, spent a couple of days there with my friend.

I really have no idea where to travel, I would love to go to Kazakhstan or Armenia, or a real good beach holiday, it's soon 4 years since the last one..

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Evrert, for a beach holiday come to Bodrum!!!!

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

ANKARA, Aug 4 (Reuters) - An earthquake measuring 5.4 on the Richter scale struck Turkey's coastal resort of Bodrum on Wednesday, but no deaths or major damage were reported.

CNN Turk television said as many as 15 people sustained light injuries, mainly from trying to escape from windows or balconies onto the street. It showed holidaymakers, some wrapped in blankets, sitting on pavements after the quake.

The earthquake at 6.01 am (0301 GMT) was the fifth and largest in a series of tremors in the area in the past few days.

Bodrum, located by the southern Aegean sea, is a major summer holiday destination for foreign and Turkish tourists.

The Anatolian state news agency said the quake was felt in other nearby resorts including Marmaris, Fethiye and Didim.

Earthquakes are common in Turkey, which is criss-crossed by geological fault lines. A quake in eastern Turkey killed 18 people on July 2. A massive quake in August 1999 killed 18,000 people in an industrial area of northwestern Turkey near Istanbul.

Pebble, those houses look wonderful. Have a great time in England and Ireland. My Dad's family is all in Ireland. I love it there. Such a great place to visit.

We had earthquakes here last week too in Nootka Sound, about 70 miles from here. It woke me up at 1:30 am, it was 5.3 or more.

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

The local tourists (from Istanbul) have been fleeing..... of course, they lived thru that devastating earthquake several years ago, so they are scared when the earth moves under their feet...

I just got in touch with SBARR a dave's member who moved to Ireland, we will try to hook up while there.

Brugcrazy, how are your brugs doing? I miss being able to spend hours and hours looking at all the photos.

hope you are having a great summer!

Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

pebble - sent you a note. I'll be back from the states when you get here. :)

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

looking forward to seeing you when I am there Sandra.....

Pebbles, the brugs are doing great this year. We've had really hot weather for the coast. It's finally raining today. It hasn't rained much since April and we need this desperately. Didn't think I'd be happy cause it's raining.

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Brugrazy, I never thought I'd want the rain either, after living in the PNW for 25 years or so I thought I had had my fill.
When we were growing up here, my mother would often say, OH, I miss the Oregon rain. of course we couldnt understand what she was talking about, never having lived in Oregon, then we moved to Oregon and it seemed like it never stopped raining, and we kids would say to each other, what was it about this that she missed? we hated it. Then years and years passed, my husband and I moved back here (as you know) and after my first summer here, I too missed the Oregon rain. When it rains here, its very different, it isnt the crystal clear rain we get in oregon, there are different types of rains, there s a yellow rain that comes from the sahara dessert (so they say...I have my doubts) that is like raining a fine dust. it settles on everything, the cars are absolutely filthy, with a coating of this fine fine sand. it can rain for an hour like this, and everywhere looks like it had been in a flood, with this dirty film.
So, now a generation later I say to my kids, I miss the Oregon rain, and they dont understand it (although they lived there all their lives) but it wont be until they are adults I think that they will be able to make the same comparison....

Anyway, enough rambling, suffice it to say, that I do miss the clean rain of Oregon.....(pacific northwest) - cause it rains the same in washington and Im sure BC too)

pebble - there is rain in Ireland.....*promise* :)

By they way, the show that you are doing is probably a mile from my house, if that... I got the ticket -- can I get a Dave's Garden discount on a house? *hehehe*

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

lol = well, actually yes, I will give you a discount....meaning, the prices have gone up, but I will give you the old price...and a 10% discount on a cash purchase

I saw the photos from the email - they do look lovely...

I'm definitely going to have to arrange for a short trip out there :)

I'll see about making sure I have a car for when you're here...

Pebbles,

Our weather is very similar to the weather in Oregon. Actually Oregon is my favorite state. I've camped all over Oregon many times.

You'll have a great time in Ireland and I'm sure you'll see some rain.

This message was edited Aug 8, 2004 6:10 PM

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

I'm looking forward to the rain in Ireland, have a feeling it will be just like Oregon.....

Sandra, I'll see you in Ireland, I'll give you a ring when I get there.

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

We lived for one year in Victoria, Vancouver Island and would love to go back again, but that was a very long time ago [1961] We also bought some land on the Oregan coast...Otter Rock and thought we would like to retire there, however, that was before our one and only grandaughter came along...I kid you not I think the friendliest people that we have ever met lived in Oregon. [ they were pretty nice in Victoria too, a lot of Brits there]...
I dislike the heat and dryness of Calif. now [ getting older] however we are retired and our family are here. My Brit. friends all miss the lovely rain that we were once acquainted with a long time ago, but I am sure we would get tired of it...just like to reminise I guess.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

You've certainly moved around a lot peterson :) It's fascinating to hear all your impressions. Loved the description of the east coast in fall "persian carpet" :D

I'd miss the rain if I was in a very dry climate. People may think I'm mad but I love the sound and smell of it. In heaven with a good thunderstorm and lashings of rain. It feels like a great release after a dry spell

Of course I need the sunny bits in between too.....
*g*

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

In the middle of us moving around we returned to England during the mid 60's for 3 years.. [ I was terribly homesick] but did not realise how much I would miss the wonderful blue skies and sunshine of California too.. I wish I had it both ways because I love the rain but got so used to the sun and all the freedom that comes with the weather here...and it WAS freezing in England..I have never regretted returning..only regrets that I missed my family so much and missed out on so much there..There is nothing like English rain, especially when you are in a country setting...the desert tho has its own beauty...only now I think with getting older it does not have the same appeal..[ where we live in San Diego County, we have the mountains, desert,and ocean all close by] My sister and her family were fascinated with the deserts here and we travelled extensively as much as possible to give them a good idea of the expanse and scope and vastness of it all....they saw and loved it...Calif.Arizona, New Mexico, Utah,and Colorado..it is an amazing country

My brother was in San Diego in the 60s - at the Salk Institute
I'd love to have visited. It sounds a fantastic place to be! You sound as in love with seeing different scenery as I am. My family rib me about going into extacies over a view.

I seem to have ended up with the best of both weathers here in the south of France :D
(though today I have to admit to it being cooler and mistier than usual) We had another beautiful light display over the Pyrenees last evening with sheet and fork lightning and ominous rumbles accompanied by 'proper' rain *g*

Pebble will you be in the NEC in Birmingham? I'm going to the Autumn Fair there which starts on the 5th but not sure if both overlap.

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Baa, yes at the NEC, I would love it if you could come, I can email you some free passes....
our fair runs from the 3rd to the 5th, how can they overlap? what is the fall fair? is it in the NEC?
I am staying at the crowne plaza NEC....
Oh, do come!!

I do miss the smell of rain, the feel of the cool rain on my face, the sparkle it has. but you only realise how much you miss it when you live in an arid place that doesnt have rain.... I dont miss the gray gloomy skies though, I love waking up and having the bright yellow light filter in the house.....

Baa, I hope you can make it, I will try to send you a pass anyway, if I can figure out how to do it through dave's e-mail system. or could I just post one, and anyone who want to come can print it out? and we could have like a mini round up a tthe fair???? well, we could meet afterwards for drinks or something anyway....

cheers
pebble

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Baa, yes at the NEC, I would love it if you could come, I can email you some free passes....
our fair runs from the 3rd to the 5th, how can they overlap? what is the fall fair? is it in the NEC?
I am staying at the crowne plaza NEC....
Oh, do come!!

I do miss the smell of rain, the feel of the cool rain on my face, the sparkle it has. but you only realise how much you miss it when you live in an arid place that doesnt have rain.... I dont miss the gray gloomy skies though, I love waking up and having the bright yellow light filter in the house.....

cheers
pebble

Pebble the NEC is huge (by UK standards *G*), I think you're in Halls 1 and 2, the Autumn Fair is a giftware trade exhibition and I think is in Halls 3, 4 and 5.

I'll have to work out the dates with what Mother is doing but if we can get there on Sunday it'd be great to meet you! I'll send you a mail :)

LOL plenty of gloomy skies at present in Birmingham I hear, we've had a few thunderstorms here but it's not been too bad.

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

been visiting you this evening Philomel it looks wonderful where you are and I wish you much success and happiness in your new life there, I am sure doing something like that takes a lot of work and dedication too, and good for your mom at her age....
Been getting to know most of the members a little better too, but still a lot to go thru yet....I do not have a clue how to post those pictures [ my son will help me when he finds the time] I just need to learn.. so I can send some of ours....Well, I have a big day tomorrow so will have to turn in ''early'' tonight, so will say goodnight to you all here, and good morning to everyone else. marion

I'm glad you're enjoying DG so much marion. It is a truly magical place :)

You'll soon be putting on your own pics - I look forward to that
Have them optimum size 640 x 480 and saved in a folder. When you want to post, write your words and then click on the 'browse' option beneath. Select your photo from the folder and then click 'open'. Click 'preview' to see your post before it's online and when you are happy click 'send'

:oD

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.