Adenium (Adenium boehmianum)

Toronto, Canada

Adenium
Adenium boehmianum

Blooming Desert Rose

Thumbnail by clonec7
Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

That is unbelievable! Congratulations on a truly nice specimen!

North Scituate, RI(Zone 6a)

I've never seen such a beautiful specimen! How old is it? I have several of these that, bunched together, wouldn't equal the size of this plant.

Sebring, FL(Zone 9b)

Clonec7,
How did you get the caudex on your plant so large?? Also, how old is your plant?
You really have a Beauty!!

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

That is truly a world-class adenium! I had no idea this plant could ever look that good - it's like a funky desert bonsai.

Toronto, Canada

Everyone wants to know how old the plant is. This picture is actually an update of an earlier pic i sent, which states how old the plant is. I've had it for more than 15 years so I'm guess its 16-18 years old. Not all caudex will grow to like the one I have. Most grow like shrubs, but in order to get a bonsai shape you would have to obtain a specimen that started out as a bonsai from when it was young. Usually a seedling will grow an abstract caudex. A cutting will also grow a large caudex, but not as exotic as a seedling would. Here is a rear view of the plant.

Thumbnail by clonec7
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I see that your plant is not in a large pot, I have one growing no blooms yet, but I have it in a LARGE pot should I repot it into a smaller one

Lititz, PA(Zone 6a)

i ordered seeds about a year ago following the instructions and everything not even a sprout they're hard to grow in my opion

Toronto, Canada

If its in a large pot then it may be getting too much water, which can lead to root. A small, clay pot is preferred. Use fish fertilizer during the growing periods.

I've tried growing seeds myself with no success at all, however propagating cuttings is much easier.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6a)

i bet it would be easier i even tryed soking one for a few days and all it did was puff no root no growth it was dissapointing! i was told with cuttings it will never have a normal caudex...

Castro Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

I love it, I love it, ((((WOW)))) I want one, and be sure, I'll be on the lookout for one ASAP, lol, I love unusual plants like that, I have many with large caudex, but this one beats all so far, thank-you for sharing, Annie

Dallas, TX

Hi everyone...need info...just bought this plant about four days ago and its still in its original container.
should i transplant it now ... or ...how long? when I do ...what kind of soil? The winters are cold here do I take it inside?
Clonec7..you suggest feeding it fish emulsion..how often?
Please help me guys...I dont want to lose this one.
Sylvia
Also what size planter....should it be a shallow planter like the one its in?

This message was edited Jun 18, 2005 7:11 PM

Thumbnail by City_Sylvia
Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

In bloom

Thumbnail by kdiggler

bump

Toronto, Canada

Thanks for all the wonderful feedback and sorry for the delay in response. Please direct all questions to [e-mail:clonec7@hotmail.com] for faster response.
For all those asking for tips:
-Fertilize during spring and summer periods once every 2 weeks using fish fertilizer
-Full sun exposure all year round
-keep in small pot
-prune at your own risk but I personally let it grow naturally without pruning
-keep dry in winter (water only once a week)
-keep moist in summer

Dallas, TX

Gee Thanks, I took mine to the office for the winter. almost put it outside too. I thought I was losing it, but it came back strong. Now I have two, got one at Walmart for half price because they thought it was a goner.

Sylvia

Toronto, Canada

Updated picture from the summer of 2005.

Thumbnail by clonec7

What a beauty!

between Clearwater &, FL(Zone 10a)

Small picture looks great, but only top 1/3 of larger view shows up. Others on this web site show fine (save one from Dabui). Your plant looks as good as one at FL Extension Service in Largo, FL. Congrats.

Covington, GA

this is my first time here: I was amassed that before my questions were asked they were answered by reading this forum. Thank you all for all the helpful information I just got my first Desert Rose and I am sure by following all the tips we will both survive.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Clonec - My neighbor has offered to give me cuttings from her DR. I do not know what type of soil would be best to use. I am in south Florida in zone 10b. We go to NH from May until the end of October. Will this DR do ok on its own in a pot while we are away? My neighbor says she hardly ever waters hers. I have seen some that have stones on the bottom, then soil of some type and then white stones on top of the soil. Our native soil here is very sandy. Will that do ok? Thanks so much. You obviously know what you are doing!!!

Wilmer, AL

I am trying to figure out what to do with the seed pods. I also don't know what to do with the seeds nor how to take a cutting. Help..................

Dallas, TX

Wow ... you got seed pods! I sure would like to where they show up on the plant. I need to water mine and get it some fish emulsion. I have one at the office, it was grown from cuttings, the one at home is from and its a more interesting looking plant. But it needs to flower ... my bad.

Wilmer, AL

They show up right below where the flower is. I don't know when to pull them off of the plant because I am afraid that one day they will open and just go with the wind. Mine loves the direct sun and blooms every year. It is about 8 years old.

Dallas, TX

THANKS... I really need to get that fish emulsion.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.