Golden hops in flower and friut.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Her's the flowers,very small.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Fruit

Thumbnail by Tropicman
SC, MT(Zone 5a)

Hey there, Tropicman! Thanks for the pics... I have now found out what that vine is a friend planted for me while I was in the hospital. I have an area about 2/3 of an acre that has been fenced and Arbors along about 100 feet of it. It is a clean canvas to start gardening on. My friend couldn't stand that I hadn't set some vines over there and told me to guess what it was when it bloomed. I have grown barley for beer but had never seen the hops.

Do I need to cut it back to the ground for winter?

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi BingsBell,
It should dye back to the ground,and then you can cut out the dead vines,or if you like you can leave them there for next years growth to climb on.This is only my second year with this vine,and believe me it is very vigorous!!!!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

mine has flowers this is my first yr growing it,thanks for the pics!!!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Your welcome,any fruit yet?

8 miles from Athens, OH(Zone 6a)

I have a new pergola. This is one of the vines I have thought of growing. What kind of support is needed for each plant? Where's a good place to find it?

SC, MT(Zone 5a)

Hi Darleen, My arbors are really stout and my golden hops don't need that much.
I am not a an expert on hops as you can tell but maybe Tropicman will come back and tell you more. They are, as he said, vigorous growers and a beautiful vine that looks similar to a grape vine.

Here is a little more about the vine.

http://davesgarden.com/pdb/go/1153/index.html

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi Darleen,
It depends are not whether you want to keep the vine in check or not.
I have a cattle guard fence,4ft x 16 ft,bent in a U shape for my Golden hops and is very strong,for I don't prune it all,but if you keep it pruned,about any pergola should be fine.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Don........is golden hops vine different from a regular hops vine? I see it doesn't look golden? Mine is just green also.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

The new growth is a chartuse green,but as age takes on it turns green.
Has yours flowered and set its hops yet?

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Yes...mine has lots of hops on it. Mine is about 6yrs old. And I guess...it must be the same..cause that is the way it looks..light green ..then turns darker.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.