Vitifolia in fruit

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

And the fruit looks like it is varigated too.,reminds me of a charleston gray watermelon!LOL!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Sure does! I have about 10 buds on mine, has been blooming, but only one and two at a time. It would be spectacular if they would all bloom at once!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thats all I get too is one at a time!!!

Mesilla Park, NM

Hi Tropicman,
On your vitifolia, did you pollinate that yourself? Just wondering because I have two vines and they bloomed continueously for a couple of months and did not set any fruit. I should just get some guts and try to pollinate some. Don't know what I am afraid of. They are just plants. Thanks for your info. And by the way, your plants are gorgeous.. I have not been able to come and spend the time I would like at Dave's the last two months, but I do take a quick peek at a couple of forums and see your stuff.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I have had fruit set using incarnata and also caerulea pollen. The fruit takes forever to ripen, it doesn't change color or get soft, it just falls off one day(takes months). They are hard as rocks and sour, but full of juice and seeds.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks Gourd!!
Cala,same here incarnata and caerula,I hand pollenated it,might even had a little pollen from morifola,but it would only take pollen from one plant,or is it possible for more than one type of pollen to take,and get fruit?

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

This was the most I ever had at once. There were 8, 7 in the front and one in the back. Mostly it's just 1 or 2, so that is the normal.

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Mesilla Park, NM

Monterey, my vines quit blooming about a week ago, they had at least 7 a day, they bloom on new growth too, so that could be why they are so sparse. The more branches you cut the more new ones form and thus more flowers. I read that somewhere in one of the posts here.

I just got my oasis cubes and am going to start taking cuttings of all the passies next week and try it out, maybe this week. Got the domes, vermiculite and now the cubes. Sure am learning alot here in this forum, it just took me time to get the passies to work with.

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

What do oasis cubes do?

Mesilla Park, NM

Well, they have been using oasis cubes to root cuttings of the passion vines (especially the hard to root ones), which are all hard to root for me. They are made out of some type of foam, almost like the floral foam that they use at the florists. Then the cuttings are placed into the cubes that are placed on top of a layer of vermiculite in a dome.. or plastic bags can be used to hold the humidity in.

Further back in the posts there are some that Tropicman/Clare/ and another by JD that give all the details on how they did it. Vitifolia is a hard to root one, I have tried water, soil, and misting, ect.. So, that is why I decided to try the cubes. They say cubes retain the air/oxygen the cutting needs to root and other things that I cannot remember. I will try to find the post for you and see if I can bring them up.

Edited to say: I found one it is called "This is a test" by Tropicman

This message was edited Aug 4, 2004 7:45 PM

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

I have rooted Vitifolia in jars of water, under lights, plastic bag over.

Thumbnail by Hibiscus
Mesilla Park, NM

Hibiscus, gonna try this one this weekend.. here is vitifolia this morning. It is about 15 feet long winding on the porch, and it is still in a five gallon pot.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

here is a portion of what you can see of it winding onto the porch rail.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Looks happy to me. Mine is about the same, have two different sections, with blooms along the stem, other stem is out the top, new growth with buds. This month and next are good times to try and start. Will try some, if I can find new growth without buds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.