Spanish Flag Vine

Coxsackie, NY(Zone 5a)

Hi folks-Just looking for some expert opinions. I just received in the mail some Spanish Flag seed and am anxious to try planting it. I only have about 10 seeds and I was thinking of trying to start a couple for this season and saving the rest for next year. Do you think it's too late in my zone (5) to start these? I'm dying to see the blooms since I've only seen them in pictures.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Probably too late, unless you have a greenhouse.. I'm in southwest GA, zone 8, and mine isn't even blooming yet.. It's one of the latest vines for me every year..On the rare occasions we have an early frost, it will get it..

Larkie

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

I'm in zone 8b/9a and mine just started blooming yesterday. I would save them until next year.

San Francisco, CA(Zone 10a)

I think Spanish Flag one of those plants whose bloom cycle is tied to the length of days. Last year I started a couple pretty late in the year and they only got about a foot tall before they flowered and died.

Like most Morning Glory relatives, Spanish Flag seeds keep well. If you want to see the plant in its full glory, you should probably wait until next spring.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I planted mine late last year. They bloomed well, but the seeds never made it. Had a frost and killed off the seed before they ripened. The ones I planted this year have not yet started blooming. Should be soon. These are usually fairly late season bloomers. I would wait until next season.

Coxsackie, NY(Zone 5a)

Darn it ! I was hoping you all wouldn't say that! LOL Ok,ok I'll wait 'til next year! Thanks for the help everyone!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.