Sunflowers!

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

Don't you just love them?! :)

Thumbnail by Cottage_Rose
Proctorville, OH(Zone 5b)

You can't get much more variety than the simple sunflower...

another pic

Oh my gosh... it just dawned on me I put Sunflowers in the wrong forum! Sorry! Maybe somebody can move it to annuals???

Heber Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

it may be in the wrong forumn but they are gorgeous!!!! I am glad I got to see them! Beautiful!!!!!

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

You can, of course, go for Helianthus maximiliani which is both a sunflower and a perennial!
(http://plantsdatabase.com/go/928/index.html)

yes you can and they are splendid! Thousands of blooms every summer!

Thumbnail by thehumblebumble

something took a "bite" out of mine!

Thumbnail by thehumblebumble
Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Never fear - the thread is now safely in Annual territory ;o)

Thanks so much Terry-

Thanks Terry! :)

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Not real excited about mine this year - lots of small deformed flowers. Cultivar is Bohemian Rhapsody. Love your first picture!

Thumbnail by kooger
Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Here's one more.

Thumbnail by kooger

kooger...cool pics! Never seen one like that first one of yours!

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

It's kind of a sick red. lol The seed packet picture shows lovely blooms in shades of wine red and yellow, all very pretty! Hardly a single one looked like that. The best is probably the 2nd picture and it has a few funky petals. We're very dry here so that probably had something to do with the small size of flowers. Doubt if I'll try these again.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I grew two or three of the minis in pots and really not impressed with them in pots. I love the sunflowers too and next year it's back in the ground even for the minis.
cinemike, I have the maximilliani too and this year it is at least 12 feet tall and not blooming yet.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Kooger, your poor sunflower looks like 'Bill the Cat'! Sunflowers don't do very well here... too wet and cool. However, this year it was hot and dry... didn't plant any... sob!

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

never 'first guess' Mother Nature lol we always lose!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Sometimes, the way she behaves, I think we ought to call her 'Mother-In-Law' Nature!

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6a)

LOL Weezingreens!

Kooger, I kinda like the red one even with the "bad hair", reminds me of my kids when they wake up in the morning.

Cottage Rose, your first picture is beautiful! What is it's name?

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

lol

clairelise...sorry forget which one that is. I don't keep track of my sunflowers names.
Just one of those pale yeller ones. ;)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Great name for a sunflower... Old Yeller!

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Weezingreens!

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Here's a pic of one of mine, that horseshoe sent me the seed for. This picture just doesn't do it justice. It actually just "shimmers" beautifully in the sun.

Thumbnail by Karrie20x

Karrie...that is very pretty!
I just love sunflowers! :))

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Can't resist posting this old fashioned giant one that's growing at the corner of my son's vegi garden.
to add - it's about a foot across

This message was edited Sep 5, 2004 1:59 PM

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

I just went out and snapped this, My mailbox with the voluteer native sunflowers that are all over my property. I let the wind and birds do a lot of my planting for me.

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView
Muscoda, WI(Zone 4b)

Ooooo....TERRIFIC pics, everyone! Guess where I got *my* sunflowers this year? The BIRDS planted them. They dropped seeds from the feeder and I got the cutest little sunflowers out of the deal.

A related story is:
Last week I was planting some of my potted plants in the ground for the winter. In one of the pots, a *mouse* had been nesting. The nest was FILLED with bird seed. I didn't think anything about dumping the potting soil into the bed with the transplanted hosta. At least not until today. Back out planting and replanting stuff...I noticed some rather odd things growing. I really had to laugh at myself when I saw that ALL the seeds had germinated! The sunflowers were popping up all over the place. ...and they tell me that bird food is supposed to be *sterile* !!?!! :-D

Next year, I'm planting a handful of bird seed...who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and a BLUEBIRD will grow! ;-)

~julie~

This message was edited Sep 5, 2004 11:30 PM

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

lol @ julie - who knows what you will grow! I hear there is marajuana seed in bird seed!

Blooms those are great pics! Love the big one. I noticed more blooming today...think I'll go snap some more pics. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.