White Knight Weigela

Jefferson City, MO

Does anyone have any info. on White Knight Weigela shrubs? Like..... what does it look like when full grown? Would it make a good "screening shrub" to block out the view from neighbors house? Do you prune it? Yadda-yadda-yadda!!! I have 9 of these things that are still small, but growing well and I have no idea what to do with them.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I was surprised that it's not in our Plantsdatabase. How about adding it?

I did find this online:

Weigela 'White Knight'
Hardiness zones: 3 to 8
'White Knight' Weigela (Weigela florida) is the product of crossing two unpatented weigela varieties. Its winter hardiness and mild fragrance distinguish it from all other common, white flowered Weigela. Its flowers are funnel- shaped, borne the length of upright stems, and begin as pinkish-white buds opening, in USDA zone 5, to pure white flowers in late May or early June. Its foliage is a medium green and virtually free of insects and diseases. 'White Knight' can withstand judicious pruning to alleviate any unsightly appearance after a rigorous winter. Use 'White Knight' for hedging, massing, or as an accent around building foundations. It typically reaches about 5 feet tall and 6 feet wide.

from http://www.organicgardening.com/feature/0,7518,s1-5-18-182,00.html
edited to add: Welcome to DG!

This message was edited Aug 1, 2004 3:28 PM

Jefferson City, MO

Hey darius! Many, many thanks for your help. I've looked and looked online for info. but didn't come up with much. Do you happen to recall the site you found it on? I'll take your suggestion and add White Knight to the Plantsdatabase. So far mine are too little to say much about them, but I'll continue to report. Keep cool! We're broiling in the midwest right now!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

ACYC, Click on the hyperlink in my post above. It will take you to my source.

Proctorville, OH(Zone 5b)

We got White knight this year. I keep pinching off the very tips of the leaves... after blooming, and they have continued to bloom all summer, albeit sporadically. The pinching also helps branching. All the weigelias are very fast growing. So you should have a great hedge in about 2 full years. With good soil maybe next year...

On the funny side. My sister noticed one of my beds had.. Red Prince, White Knight, Palace Concubine & the Chaste tree all together... LOL She was in hysterics..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.