Bigleaf Hydrangea, French Hydrangea, Mophead 'Nikko Blue' (Hydrangea macrophylla

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

Bigleaf Hydrangea, French Hydrangea, Mophead 'Nikko Blue'
Hydrangea macrophylla

Performs brilliantly in Western Pennsylvania

Thumbnail by tcfromky
Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

TC that's gorgeous! do you add alum.sulfate to make it so blue?

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

hh, thanks for the compliment and we didn't add anything. What's helped is mulching with pine needles over the years. Unfortunately, the bluest blue above didn't last but about one day. I've found that to be the case with blue hydrangeas, they're the perfect shade of blue for about one day, then fading begins. I was able to snap that photo before the color started to fade.

TC...

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

TC, great color! I'm growing them for the first time. Have three and they aren't doing well in our heat. What forum would be best for discussing their culture? What color does it fade to?

This message was edited Jul 31, 2004 9:41 AM

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

Are you sure you didn't touch this up in Photoshop? That is SO blue it just doesn't seem natural. :)

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

Negative on the touchin up in Photo Shop smiln, or any other photo editing software. This is the true blue color of the bloom, I promise. As I said though, that gorgeous color didn't last but one day.

2dumb, ours has faded to a light purple. DW dries the blooms and I'll try and post a foto of one here soon.

TC...

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Is this the right place to talk about watering them? If so, here goes: my newly (month) planted hydrangeas are really suffering in this Texas heat. They wilt badley by afternoon even if the soil is wet. So I water them, by sundown they perkup again. The next day, same story. When I read about their moisture requirements they warn about overwatering. Well, overwatered plants also show similar signs. Are my wilted plants underwatered or overwatered? I skipped watering one day and they almost croaked. Fortunately temperatures are way below normal right now and they look better, not good but, better. I've always admired hydrangeas but, have no experience growing them.

Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

when my hydrangeas start wilting i water them - it's been raining TONS here and they haven't been wilting. are they in direct sun or do they get afternoon shade? that would definitely help

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

Also, do you mulch? I recommend using pine needles to add acidity to the soil. This will help deepen the shades of blue of your hydrangea. And mulching helps your plant retain moisture.

TC...

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

They are in mostly shade. Small amount of morning sun. Yes I do mulch with about 3" of cedar bark/chips. Fertilize with Miracle Grow acid fert. every 7/10 days. I know they grow them down here but, I don't see them very often. Its heating up again this week. I hope they'll be worth the constant attention they seem to need here!

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

Here's a link that will take ya to a page with info that I hope will help ya out: http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/county/smith/homegardens/Shade/hydrangeas.html

Maybe 'Nikko Blue' just doesn't like it there at your place and you need to select another variety.

TC...

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks TC. I probably should try the oakleaf hydrangea, seems more suitable for my area. I like those blue ones tho! I'll stick with them 'til I can't take it anymore! I also have the variegated "mariesii variegatata" (excuse me, I gotta go water again!) too, and it will an go extra day (1) without h2o. Now what happens if have to leave the area for a couple days? U boy:|

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

Beautiful hydrangea. Get a soaker hose and just leave it on. They are the best for hydrangeas. Also be sure the hydrangeas are receiving no evening sun. Mine are on the north side of the house and do fine. They are mulched with oak leaves and pine straw. Maybe yours are just wilting now because they haven't gotten their root system down yet. Give them a little time. They will be worth all your effort cause they are so pretty and the blooms just keep on changing through autumn. As you can tell I really like all hydrangeas. Jenny

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Aw Jenny. Thanks! Soaker hose! Of course! I think you are right about the lack of root development being the problem, for this year. My dumb username is right on! I will definitely hang in there through the rest of the summer.

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

I'm thrilled you're gettin all this really great info 2dumb. And I don't believe for one minute that you're at all related to your user name. (It actually bothers me callin ya by it) ;~)

TC...

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Imway2dumb... The real reason big leaf hydrangeas wilt is the ratio of leaves that "perspire" during the day and wilt (sorry, don't remember the right name for it... transpiration?) versus the ability of the stems and roots to supply enough water to the leaves during the day.

IF watering in the evenings perks tham up, they are okay. IF they are still wilted the next morning after watering the evening before, you have a hydration problem, which can be helped by mulching, better soil, etc,

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

darius, makes sense to me. Thanks.

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

I said earlier that I would post a photo of my 'Nikko Blue' after the blue color faded. Here is what it looks like now.

TC...

Thumbnail by tcfromky
Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Hey, I like that switch to pink! My plants, while not looking great, are producing new growth. Looks like I just needed to give them time to develope those roots. Weather has been cooperative, too. I'll post some photos as soon as I learn how to operate my new digital camera. Very busy right now, plus I'm a little "slow/2dumb", but will asap.

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

TC that's just beautiful. Hydrangeas are hard working plants. It is giving you double the pleasure. Jenny

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

This is what my Hydrangeas look like today. Nikko Blue is on the left. Darn near lost it but, one shoot managed to survive! I think these guys are going to make it. We'll see what happens next spring. Thanks for your help and encouragement ya'll!

Thumbnail by imway2dumb
Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

Those look very good to me. They should make it. Really like the variegated and would like to see a pic of the blooms next year. Mine is a lot smaller since it was just a cutting this year, but I want to see what the bloom will look like. Hope it blooms next spring but it might be too small still. Jenny

East Troy, WI(Zone 5a)

I am growing a NIKKO BLUE in my garden and the plant survived in zone 5 for 3 years now.

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

Great karlbecker! They're wonderful performers in my zone 5 garden, always have been.

Jackson, MS

THIS IS THE ONE I WANT!!! my goodness, reading these posts makes me concerned about my success. i have never had one, but today i ordered a Hydrangea-mac Angel Wings PPAF. i am in mississippi and it is so hot here, i am considering using a large container?? i was thinking that i could move it to the shade or cooler area....and control the ph better....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. until now, i didnt realize the term was "nikko" blue; but it is certainly my dream plant. what a beautiful photo/plant, tc!!! the petals on yours are more round than the one im expecting; i have my eye out for that variety. i know it is possible to achieve that shade of blue in this area, there is a house less than a mile from here that has blue blooms all season. they are so beautiful. i am excited and ready to work....just need to research and pray! thank you, tc...lovely!! judy

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

I'm humbled by your warm words of praise Ms. Judy. I know your hydrangea will be just as stunning. Have patience. You know the saying: First year sleep, second year creep, third year leap.

TC

Mineral Ridge, OH

My Nikko Blue's can't handle any hot afternoon sun at all in NE Ohio. They always wilt, no matter how well hydrated. The flower color is lovely, but in the wrong location....the plant looks like a basket of unfolded laundry.

Mercer, PA(Zone 5a)

REDSUZ, are your plants too large to move to a spot that gets morning sun? Mine get no afternoon sun at all. And if yours "looks like a basket of unfolded laundry," you need to fold them or something! ;~)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.