Is this a flower spike on my Oncidium sphacelatum?

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Is this a flower spike or roots? I'm new to orchids so it looks like either to me.

-CaptMicha

Thumbnail by CaptMicha
DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

Those are roots. I'm not familiar with that particular onc., but spikes should come out from between the leaf and pseudobulb. They'll be green, not white.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

What do I do with this roots? Cut them off? Can I use them to make a new plant?

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

No... you want to leave those roots alone. To divide a sympodial orchid like this onc., I would want at least 6 pseudobulbs, so that each division has at least 3 pseudobulbs. I prefer to have more if possible.

Can you get your hands on a basic book on orchids? Because you have a variety, you would probably get a lot out of it.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Can you recommend a good one? I appreciate all your help by the way! It's so much easier to grow them when you have people helping to answer your questions.

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

well.... there are tons of books out there. Some people recommend Orthos, I forget the others. You will probably want a book with lots of pages on culture - it's so easy to be distracted by the pages and pages of photos....

I have a shelf-full and when it comes down to the bare bones, The American Orchid Society's little booklet called Your First Orchid is surprisingly helpful. It does not cover a huge range of orchids with lots of glossy pictures, but does cover repotting, growing, very broad kinds of orchids (monopodial, sympodial, orchids that don't like pots etc), a range of easier growers, pests, diseases etc.... I think it's an excellent overview.

I find that the thick books of lots of pictures are not that helpful - when you are looking for detailed info on one specie, you often need more detail than their broad sweep provides.

Try a local bookstore or library or even the Brookside Gardens (http://www.mc-mncppc.org/parks/brookside/index.shtm) library (never been, and it does not let you check out books, but probably has a selection) and browse before you buy.

For your species, you can also get some info at orchidspecies.com. Excellent site.

And I should mention that there is an orchid society in the DC area (http://ncos.us/) and they also have a library. (They will have a big show over the Columbus Day weekend.)

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I had no idea there was one in DC! I know the Smithsonean has an orchid exhibit but I don't think it was up and running last time I went.

Thanks for the help w/ the book!

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

I've been collecting orchid books since I bought my first orchid 4 years ago. Probably have as many books as plants. I like "Orchid growing for whimps" by Zachos, published by Sterling. Good pics and info is not overwhelming.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.