Mardi Gras begining to flower

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Usually this bouganvilla doesn't even think about blooming until temps reah high 90's and stay that way for a month,we've had very cool temps and rain,and look???
You just never know what plant' s going to do next!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

I love the variegated leaves, Don! I have a variegated one called "Rasberry Ice" or something like that. I just love variegated plants.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Me too!
I have rasberry ice too,the hardest one to get to bloom for me.

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

I have Rasberry Ice also, and it is hard to get to bloom...

I saw someone post something about a Blueberry Ice? have you heard of this one? Sounds way to kool

Thx, carol

Hi Don and Carol! Here is my Rasberry Ice. I have it growing in a container, and I cut it back once when the stems were getting too long. It's a pretty compact plant otherwise and seems happy in a container. Mine is in full sun. I have not heard of Blueberry Ice. Maybe Bougainvilla needs some sort of cooling period to bloom?

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Looking great Clare,whats your secret for getting it to bloom????
No haven't heard of blueberry yet,Have you seen any pics of it yet??

Hi Don, no secret that I know of! All my Bougainvillas started to bloom in the spring. Maybe it just needs the change in the weather. I'm sure yours won't be far behind.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Here's my Rasberry,no signs of any blooms yet,it usually blooms when I bring it in for the winter,and it's time to cut her back.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Here's Miss Vickie,she has white, pink,and magenta blooms,all at once,hopefully she will bloom shortly,temps are going to be near the century mark all week,and the heat seems to bring on the blooms here.

Thumbnail by Tropicman

They are both gorgeous and full. Mine look a little straggley compared to yours. I should probably prune mine more often. Do post a picture when Miss Vickie blooms. I've never seen three different colors at once on a Bougainvilla. That must be striking.

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

Heres my Lil' Rasberry Ice...

would love to add Mardi Gras & Miss Vickie to my collection.

Anyone have rooted cuttings to trade?

carol

Thumbnail by dixiechick
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

If you would like to try and root some cuttings,send me sase,one of those big yellow envelopes,for several cuttings.
Iv'e tried several times to root cuttings with no sucess.
Miss Vickie is a prertty one in bloom.
I bought these years ago from the plumeria people which is no longer in business.

I've never been able to root Bougainvilla from cuttings either. It's a tough one.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Here's a pic of BlueBerry Ice from the Stokes Tropicals site.

http://www.stokestropicals.com/product_info.php?products_id=51&osCsid=b9329afc10fd6f4ccfa2258fa542dbe6

Thumbnail by RikerBear
Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

WOW! Thats pretty....

Tropicman, thanks for the offer of cuttings but, I'm thinking it's a bit to hot to try to send now and I'm not really blessed with the rooting talent..Some things I can, some things i can't...Maybe early fall would be a better time to try it?

Thx, Carol

Thanks, Rikerbear, for the picture and the link. It is very pretty. The flowers are more lavender/pink than Rasberry Ice, I think.

Carol, every time I try to root Bougainvilla cuttings in water, the cutting turns brown. Maybe this one needs an Oasis cube or potting soil, rooting hormone, and a humidity dome.

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

Clare_CA, Thank's for the input..... I'm trying to find out whats a good way to do this plant.. i've posted in the propagation forum hoping for some help...I'd love to get some cuttings from Tropicman and give it a try..I've never had much luck rooting things in water. Sometimes I get lucky with the rooting hormone & soil..

Thx, Carol

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Couple years back out of several tries,I got one to root,with
rooting hormone and spagnuhm moss,and a plastic bag.
Actually I had put it away and forgot about half the summer,found it behind a plant on the deck,where a storm must have blown it there,opened the bag found it growing great,dump luck!!!LOL!
Traded it to lady in Blaine Washington,and she had it blooming by thew next spring!!!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Few days into flowering ,showing white and purple bracts on the same plant.

Thumbnail by Tropicman

That's a gorgeous plant, Don. Definitely a keeper!

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

Tropicman, If your still interested in sending cuttings for SASE
Please email me your address. I looked in the address exchange and did not see it...

Thx, carol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.