Punkin Pickin

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

One of the disadvantages of growing in Georgia is that the Cushaws have to go out early to avoid the pickle worm. Now instead of picking these thing at the end of September I have to store them until cool weather.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

So, do I understand this right?

You are picking winter squash now, and will store it, then sell when cool weather comes? What is the reason: no market for winter squash, or it has to experience cool weather to get full flavor? Are these fully mature?

One reason I ask, I have two varieties, some look ready to pick (how can I tell), and I need to know if I can sell them now, or have to wait. Also, what do I tell the customers as far as when they can use it or how long to store it?

Thanks farmerdill!
Cornius

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I pick winter squash when the vines die. Since I have to plant them in late April/ early May to avoid the pickle worm, thier 90- 110 days are up. I don't sell them, but since Cushaw types are use mostly for pies and fall decorations, there is not much use for them at the moment. I love squash pie but only in cool weather. By the first of October, friends and neighbors will be coming out of the wood work asking for them.
The flavor does improve with a couple of weeks of curing after removing from the vine.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Thanks Farmer Dill~
I did the obvious thing, and checked my planting dates. I now have a wheelbarrow full of winter squash, some 10-12 pounders! Will post pics soon. Now my quesion is, since they are maximas and not muchatas, do I cure them in the sun for two weeks, or is the fact that many were on the vine too long enough?

They have set out in the sun all day, except the three I brought in for us. And I plan to sell these in about 10 days, since they will keep till spring, I hope people will buy them so I don't have to store them.

I baked a mature one and grilled a greenish one, and my 5 year old said they taste like peaches =-)

Cornius

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Curing should take place in the coolest dryest place you can find. I no longer have a cornhouse, so I use a storage shed which is shaded by trees.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Unfortunately, I left them in the metal wheelbarrow till this afternoon =-(

A little while ago, I went to put them in cardboard fruit pallets under a shady shed, and some of the stems suddenly have borer holes in the stem. Did they crawl out because the squash got hot? I don't see how they could have just now crawled in. I didn't see anywhere that indicated them getting in through the skin, except for one squash that I brought in yestreday which looked like a pickleworm had gone in. I cut off the skin to look, but the hole didn't go all the way through, I guess these have pretty thick rinds.

Somedays I feel so stupid, but I have been reassured that this is a normal feeling when you are a farmer???!!!

I'll be looking for your response. You can always email me if you prefer, but I can't email back right now, something's wrong in that department. Hope somebody is reading so they can learn from my errors...

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

That I dont know. Never had borers attack the stems, they are usually hard and woody before the borers get the more tasty vines. Actually don't have much of a borer problem with the solid stem Cushaws. Pickleworms the other hand love the young Cushaws from blossoming untill the skin hardens. They arrive here in late June. If I left mine in a metal wheelbarrow this time of year, I would have baked squash. It is hot and dry here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.