101 benefits of education

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

My friend Marie said I should be thinking about retirement. It's 10 years till retirement!!!! She doesn't approve of my studying - she told me I should "get a proper job".
Marie has very little in the way of education. The only work she has ever done is as a cleaner. Her daughter has qualified as a physiotherapist and was the first in the family to go to university. Marie has very low self-conficence.

So, what ARE the benefits of an education? Remind me please!

1. An education improves our ability to articulate our thoughts.

Your turn!!!!

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

This is mind boggling, Northener, there are so many reason to be a well educated person.I used to tell my children, it does not matter what menial job you may have, but be an educated human being.

Here are two of what I think are very important reasons for the benefit of being very well educated.

2. It encourages wide interests in many arias.

3. It interacts by accepting different thoughts and actions.

Tutors can give you facts and figures but a good tutor will only teach you how to learn.

An expert isn't necessarily someone who remembers a whole list of stuff but someone who knows how and where to find the correct information quickly. That's the benefit of learning how to learn and the only benefit to academia IMO.

My previous bank and the Student Loan Company are the biggest winners from my adult education.

There's edcuation and there's education.

Informal edcuation, that we teach ourselves. Maybe we could even call it wisdom.

And there's schooling.

I think Marie is being not supportive. I think there may an element of envy in her comments.

As long as you feel you are benefitting from your education and in the most part, enjoying it, I wouldn't worry what your friend thinks.

It's costing me a lot of money Baa. I know it's a gamble. But if I hadn't taken the gamble to retrain I wouldn't have any decent chance to get back into employment.

Hopefully I'll finish my course soon. Then I'll take the next step of trying to get more experience so I can improve on my interviews.

But she's not a real friend. A friend would be supportive.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.