cottage garden or jumbled mess???

Heber Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

I just love a garden that looks like birds planted the seeds so I wanted to show you some pictures of my garden...

Thumbnail by thehumblebumble

when is to much?????

just love the red zinnias

and for height....

and the last...

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

I LOVE your cottagie look! :)

Wish I had the energy and help to tackle some of the larger parts of our acrage to do that.

I just really started flower gardening last year and am still trying to get my, mostly perennial, beds done to my satisfaction.

Before that, I had a bed that was 1/4 weeds and the rest mixed seeds that resowed every year. Now when I go back and look at the pics, I wish I hadn't tamed everything so much and now I don't have the Indigo Buntings coming every year to eat the flower heads :(

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

...bee, I want to come and live in YOUR garden!

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6a)

So pretty, Marie!

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

You could call it Humblebumble's Jumble. hee hee
That's my favorite kind of garden - like a Cottage Garden Book's cover. Beautiful. ~Blooms

hey BWAV----I really like that "HUMBLEBUMBLE JUMBLE!!!!"

Avis, PA(Zone 6a)

What are the tall purple flowers in the front left of your 1st photo? I'm looking for something like that! You have quite a garden! And I think the red zinnias are pretty too, especially with the white flowers behind them.
Lynn

I have purple amaranthus a reseeding annual--- I planted those about 4 or 5 years ago and every year I am suprised where they come up next---- just love them---they are not a reseeding nuisance like some can be. I also have another reseeding annual in the left back that is purple---Lambada Monarda--- another butterfly favorite! I will have plenty of the amaranthus seed in a few weeks if you would like some Lynn. Thanks marie

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

I love your gardens! It is definitely my kind of garden and looks much prettier than mine. Mine is called "Lou's Chaos"( I have a stone painted with the name ). I would love some of the amaranthus seeds in the fall if possible! Lou

you gotem Lou!!!!!!! Marie

Avis, PA(Zone 6a)

Marie,
How generous of you, I'd love some seeds. Will send you my address.Thanks!

Centerville, TN(Zone 7b)

What a beautiful garden! Just what I try for and never quite succeed. Perhaps I should say " wish for". How many hours a day are you able to devote to it? Thanks for the pictures HumbleBumble.

Proctorville, OH(Zone 5b)

Your garden is Beautiful.... Oh to get mine to fill in..... LOL

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

Very pretty! Isn't it nice that they have such a quaint name for this style of gardening? I always feel like my garden is this hodge-podge mess because I just plop things in the ground without alot of fore thought but everybody else thinks it looks great.

Port Lavaca, TX(Zone 9a)

I love your garden. I've started a new cottage garden. In the winter I planned it all out on graph paper. But then some friends started giving me plants so now it has gift plants everywhere. The only requirement is that the plants be suitable for a xeriscape garden since I live in South Texas and it is usually hot and dry.

barbur- I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine! I just put plants here and there and here and there. The result a jumble up mess. hahahaha Marie

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Hey! Great gardens, but where are the 700 daylilies in bloom?Do you put them in seperate beds or mix them like I do? I bet the older ones look great mixed in with the annuals. I have to put my daylilies toward the front due to the height of my back 3 rows. How do you handle yours?

Wanda I have my daylilys in a bed by themselves like Dori does. I am now moving a fan of each to my front yard gardens, but with the height i have a hard time with them getting enough light. I am going to borrow my friends digital camera this weekend and get some photos of all of the clumps, very few reblooming now.

Wow! I know the difficulty of blending daylilies or irises with some of the tall perennials I love. Phlox & Speedwell is easy--it stays in one place. It's the big asters & tall yarrow and other plants that want to lay all over my daylilies. A challenge, isn't it? I like to see how other gardeners solve the problem of intermixing all the cultivars.

Proctorville, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh that's a good question Wanda. I don't have many but my favorites view, line the paths thru my garden... even tho they are just mulch paths.. It keeps me from wandering all over..

Well, I've decided that tomato plant cages cut into a large set of rings & smaller set of rings will keep most of my big plants in line. I'm just looking for more back row alternatives.

Fresno, OH

Ladies...

I'LL TAKE YOUR MESSES ANYTIME!!!!LOL

I dream of having a garden like yours!!! They are BEAUTIUL!
iI'm glad that you put your plants "here and there". That is the approch I'm going with! I do try to keep small int the front, etc. I also try to mix (a little) spring, summer, fall.

All the same, in the future, I want my garden to look like your "MESS". LOL

Shelly

Thanks Shelly-- just keep poking things here there and everywhere. I let most of mine grow where it germinates, like my annuals. Now my father was a little different, when he was flower gardening in the ground it all had a place and only its place. Now that he is going to college he just spends his gardening time on his brugs. I have several of his brugs in my gardens and waiting on blooms any day now and I will post pics of them in bloom. Just got to get me a digital camera. Marie

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

The fourth picture, in front of the black eyed susan is a flower, its spike has a sort of magenta color. What is it? It came out of no where but I love it.
Your Garden looks beautiful as I think a cottage garden should loook like
Maria

aria--- the plant is perennial purple loosestrife (lyrhtum). Alot of people say it is invasive but I have had it for well over 7 years and he has not spread any more than it was when I planted it. The butterflies just love the plant! My yard will never be without it again! Thanks Marie

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

wow whhat a yard mercy i would love 1/6 that great yard you have so much space.. you have 700 daylilies , oh my gosh mercy me .i 'm long ways got 7 now but got lots lots from Tazzy to move here . you certaily know how to plant things to look so beautiful... lucky you. do you have some seeds to trade. lmk, e mail me privately.. i will send list.

This message was edited Aug 11, 2004 8:04 PM

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

My new to me purple losestrife has not spread either.
Another thing I like about it, its leaves turn red in the fall, do yours?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.