what are you sorry you planted..

Heber Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

I know that there is bound to be something you wish you had never added to your garden! Let me hear it!!! I know what some hate others love--- Missouri primroses---Well this picture was of the first year which they were well behaved to impress me---- then they grew up and brought all their friends..... Marie

Thumbnail by thehumblebumble
Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

I guess it would have to be the pansies I planted in mid spring. that was a waste of money. They didn't look pretty for very long. Maybe I'll try them this FALL.

I doubt I plant marigolds there again......I dont know what plant I could replace marigolds that has pretty blooms from spring to fall.

Thumbnail by Osteole
Springfield, OH

MINT, I just planted a tiny sprig from my Grandmothers garden (it smelled so nice.) Now it has taken over....how to you kill this stuff? Runners everywhere.

Osteole--there is a dwarf melapodium that would look stunning there---real bright yellow dime to nickel shaped bright yellow blooms---blooms for a very long time and thrives on heat and neglect! or for a perennial creeping yellow sedum would be pretty and carefree...

lori-- about the only way to rid the mint is pull pull pull and more pull---may take a couple or so years to get all of the roots.. It smells wonderful but is awesome to extricate. sorry!

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

Humble is this the plant? http://plantsdatabase.com/go/231/index.html
WOW You're right, this plant looks awesome!!!!

picture taken from plants database - see copyright info on photo

Thumbnail by Osteole
Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

I am in love with the looks of that plant!

Can you suggest a cultivar name for the creeping sedum?

that is the melapodium and it is wonderful---very easy to grow and just blooms its rear off all summer

the sedum would be stonecrop---check the database for it but I do believe you would like the melapodium for a better show

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Osteole, I didn't much like how pansies performed for me either, until I planted some one fall. I had wonderful blooms over much of the winter! Still don't like how they do here in mid to late spring and of course, they are straggly now.

osteol---you would love those melapodium---- they are very drought tolerant!!! So easy!!!

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Now this is funny because the plant that I wish I'd never planted is Melampodium. In your spot, Osteole, they would be fine as long as they were the only plant there. The problem is that they grow to 2 feet tall and wide (if not more) and shade out everything in sight. Plus, their seeds are 100% viable (it seems) and they wind up everywhere. So, that can be a blessing in the right place.

If it were me, I'd plant gold lantana in your spot.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Wish I had never planted Lamium 'Yellow Archangel' in my front beds. This is truly one of the most invasive plants (next to mint) I have ever seen. It has taken nearly three years to get it back out of places I didn't want it.....and even that requires constant diligence on my part.

Thumbnail by RikerBear

rikerbear, I had the same lamium and never could get it to spread like I wanted. It was at the edge of my woodland shade garden.

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

Pins,

I tried Lantana one year thinking they were going to be a perennial. Your right, its a lovely plant, but expensive to replace every year.

I dont mind the melampodium growing to 2 ft. I think the variety I will buy is dwarf variety. Ive found 5 different kinds so far....

1. Derby
2. Melanie (I believe this is the dwarf)
3. Lemon Delight
4. Million Gold
5. Showstar

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

humblebumble, can you send me a start of the pink primroses. I have the perfect place for them where they can't get out of bounds.....

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

darius, want some more??? Lord knows I have LOTS :) LOL

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Famous last words Woodspirit1 LOL

"I have the perfect place for them where they can't get out of bounds....."

Osteole--Lantana just doesn't do very well here in Arkansas I don't know why? I have used several varieties and they just don't preform like they should and here they are so darn expensive---the last time I bought them in a 4 inch pot they were like $3.49 each---for annuals. I would recommend the million gold or the melanie I grew both of those and they are super! I have never had them to reseed for me but then the winters maybe a bit colder for us--who knows-

Woodspirit---yes I will send you some but lets wait just a few weeks because they don't like to ship in the heat and they are very easy to get started one you get them. Would that be ok?

Rikerbear---Just received the Ed Murry Daylily and this trade was SUPER DUPER!!!!! I thank you so much! Hope you enjoy screechowl-- as for the lamium I am still pulling it up and still pulling and still pullling..... hahaha

Yea Darius want some more and the missouri primroses....????

another just came to mind.... I love artemesia limelight for the foliage color it can not be beat for varigation!!!! but stupid me thought I would plant it in a well ammend bed with other drought loving perennials----well----still pulling--still pulling---still pulling!

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh I'm glad you recieved the fans okay humble. Can't wait the screech owl to arrive....dug the planting hole last evening so am all ready for her to arrive. :-)
Lamium the plant that keeps on giving...headaches that is. LOL

I sent it priority mail---has your mailman ran today yet????

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh it's probably waiting for me at home (I'm still at work).... I'm not worried, it will either arrive today or tomorrow I'm sure.

whew you scared me---not that I wouldn't send another but I hate for someone to think that I may have stiffed them! People are super quick to assume. Marie

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh heavens no! I wouldn't have started worrying till late this week actually. :-)
I know all about being stiffed on trades....and about quick (bad) assumptions by others as well.

rikerbear, and humblebumble... Thanks for the offers but I have to move again before November. Doubt I will find a place, move, and still have time for new plants to get established.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Keep it in mind for next year than..............

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Oh no...artemesia limelight...I planted one this year...am I going to regret it? I did read something that it can be invasive. How does it spread? By runners? I was thinking about propogating some for the backyard because it does have wonderful foliage. The info at the store said 12" x 12", but mine is currently about 24" x 24".

- Brent

Brent mine is a good 4 feet now and probably 4 feet wide!!!! It spreads by runner like mint. It is truely beautiful! Marie

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Brent here's what I found on it.....sounds like you should start digging it up now and move it to a large pot. :-)

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/okgard/msg0321453429859.html

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Katie ruellia (pink). It grows everywere. It would have been OK if I've bought one and let it do its thing in my trouble spot, but I was very dumb and bought EIGHT. Now the thing is growing everywhere. babies are easy to pull but it's a daily routine. just HAD to have the instant gratification...serves me right

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Ajuga...What a weed! I can't get rid of the stuff.

I got rid of my evening primrose awhile ago, thank goodness.

I've got a certain type of creeping sedum I might regret planting. I'm watching it closely...it runs wild, but it's wasy to pull up.

Black fountain grass (in some areas). It seeds very well and I'm always pulling up volunteers. Very pretty grass, but the seeds can be troublesome.

purple fountain grass also---would make a beautiful lawn if kept mowed! LOL

Sure wish it would grow for us like that here, where it's an annual.

HumbleBumble, how about going to Preferences under "about You" on the right column and adding your zone? It would help us all.

darius sure will---didn't know how to put the zone up there---Thanks for the info Darius! Marie

I just put it on there darius and it isn't showing up?????

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

I planted verbena near my pond. It is beautiful but really spread out more than I wanted.
charlotteda

tried it again Darius

Musta worked because it shows up now, even on all your older posts!

Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

Our purple fountain grass died Humble.....My sweetie thought they were perennials when he bought them.

I found out later they were annuals. We kept expecting them to pop out of the ground. Then never did :( *cries*

Your's grow well?

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I can think of lots of thinks I'm sorry that I planted - but I think the #1 thing I planted that really thorns me are these snapdragons that reseed themselves, WHEREVER they please, and usually find the most obnoxious place in the world, to rest. menaces, i tell ya...........

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

HumbleBumble....are you sure that's not black fountain grass you posted a picture of? My Pennisetum alopecuroides
'Moudry' looks just like what you posted.

Purple fountain grass has darker blades, but maybe it's just the picture? Black fountain grass is definitely a hardy perennial...but purple fountain grass is an annual here.

Thumbnail by hczone6

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.