Crickets in the Greenhouse

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

I asked a Question in the Garden Pests Forum- but haven't got a lot of feed back--Does Anyone know what kind of Damage Crickets do in the greenhouse ?--------- I have a bunch of them, but cant see any thing negative so far--just fat Toads. And happy fish.

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

I always have crickets in my greenhouse. This time of year they are everywhere and inevitably always go in the greenhouse and stay there through the winter. I don't know if they do any "damage", but I have never seen any.

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

I have been carefully watching the new seedlings--and see no damage from the Crickets--they probly have lots of other things to eat--they are mostly dug in to the compost---

Navarre (NW FL), FL(Zone 8b)

As mentioned by Michaelp,
Crickets ARE omnivores. They will eat just about anything. I doubt that you have to worry about your plants. They would have to hit some "hard times" to seek your plants out. "Hard times" for crickets in a greenhouse environment are very unlikely. You would have to have them in extremely high populations to even start to worry. Extreme like not being able to walk into your greenhouse without stepping on them.

They are most likely using the moist soil and warm environment to lay their eggs. The females have a long apparatus at its rear end. These are like straws used to insert the eggs into the moist soil for them to hatch out in a few weeks. The compost would be perfect for egg laying.

If they are a real bother, you could always lay down some boric acid for them. Good luck.

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

I have lots of compost, for them to play in

Thumbnail by Michaelp

I'm such a goof. I just noticed that YOU started this thread. I wouln't have said "As mentioned by Michaelp."

Wow! That looks fun enough for ME to play in. Nice pile.

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, nice to hear from you-I noticed you posted at 4:30 am, you are allowed to over look anything you want to at that hour--Michael

4:30 am?! Geesh! It's no wonder I sleep all day. I've gotta stop doing that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.