Anybody know the name of this Clematis...

Klamath Falls, OR(Zone 6a)

and what pruning group it is in?

sharvis

Thumbnail by sharvis
Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Maybe "Henryi"?

Larkie

Thanks Larkie. That may be it.

sharvis

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

It's gorgeous! I want one!

Oh yeah, thou shalt not covet........

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Is it Miss Bateman? I've got this one growing up a golden rain tree. Like this?...

Please note: the color is a little off in this picture...it's really more white...

Edit-
Oh wait...I noticed the center of mine is dark and yours isn't...so maybe Miss Bateman is not it.

This message was edited Jul 28, 2004 7:43 PM

Thumbnail by hczone6
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Here is a description of "Henryi" copied from Chalk Hill Clematis Nursery. Maybe it's my computer screen, but I don't see the "contrasting dark maroon stamen". Therefore, I think you have a variety other then "Henryi".

'Henryi'

Early Large–flowered Group (1870) – Has proven its worthiness for over a century. Crisp 6-in. white flowers with contrasting dark maroon stamens In a shaded aspect or cool weather a green stripe will show on each tepal. Vigorous grower with great flower production. Flowers early summer and late summer.

Height: 10-12 feet, Prune light (2), Zones: 4-9

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

If the colour is whiter, then it must be Marie Boisselot(aka. Madame le Coultre)...............Henryi has darker stamens! Hope this helps! Elaine

The stamen look like a golden color and if the tepals were whiter when they first were in bloom, then you probably have C. Marie Boisselot.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Can you save seed from this and it come true? If so, please please save some for me! I'm having a hard time coveting!

Thanks everybody!!! I went to several sites and looked at the pictures of both varieties mentioned here. The picture I posted isn't very good, and you can see how buggy the plant was this year. (I think the earwigs had a field day). This is our first year in this house so I'm trying to figure out what everything is and the cultural requirements.

Anyhoo, the anthers are just a tad darker than the filaments, there is no greenish stripe tho it is planted in the shade, and the tepals are overlapping rather than separated, so I think it might be Marie Boisselot, as Roselaine and Shirley1md have both suggested.

Karrie20x: It isn't blooming right now and I've cut off the old blooms, but if I get any more flowers this year, I will certainly save you some seed. I really don't know if all clematis comes true to type or if this is a hybrid and the best method is a cutting or whatever. Does anybody know about propagating these critters? I'd be happy to try to take some cuttings and if I can get some to grow, I'll send you (or anyone else) a plant or two.

sharvis

P.S. Coveting plants is a 'good' thing. Hehehe.

Since C. "Marie Boisselot" is a hybrid, it will not grow "true" from the seeds. You can still grow out the seeds, but they won't look exactly like the parent plant. Here is a link that will give you more information on growing Clematis from seed.

http://www.richardsdad.btinternet.co.uk/

The only way to get an identical plant is either to take cuttings & try and root them or I think the easiest way is "serpentine layering". Basically, you lay a stem from the plant on the ground and secure it with garden staples or rocks, every couple of inches. Cover the vine with good growing media and keep it moist. Within a couple of months, aerial roots will form along the mother vine and new shoots will develop. You can then carefully divide the rooted vine into several plants. If you want to try this in the Fall, you should have several "new" plants by Spring.

Here is a link that explains compound "serpentine" layering, better than I can.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8701.html

This message was edited Jul 29, 2004 7:04 PM

Thanks so much Shirley1md. Both sites were fascinating. I think I'll try the 'serpentine' layering this year...see what happens. 8-]

sharvis

For me, the serpentine layering method works the best and is the easiest. At least this way, you will have a duplicate of the mother plant. Good Luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.