improving acidic, red clay for lawn

Hood River, OR

We're starting over (again), trying to grow grass. We now have 6,500 sq ft of tilled red, clay, dirt on an area that used to have many pine trees. Home Ph test shows 5.0 - 6.0 depending on test spot.

Talking to various people, we've been told to add some type of lime (what type?), manure compost, mushroom compost, saw dust, etc. to try to improve the soil. All sorts of ideas from the local garden shops.

We also were told that if we do add lime, we must wait 30 days before fertilizing. Is this true?

So, what do we do? I am anxious to get grass out there, so my kids and dog aren't continuing coated in red. Thanks!

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5a)

BENTLEYb- call your local county extension office. ask to talk too local master gardeners. they can help.

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

I would definitely say lime is your best bet. You would hardly be able to improve 6,500sq ft of soil using mushroom compost for any reasonable amount of money.

A quick search on the net showed that typically you would need 160lb of lime (crushed limestone [=calcite, CaCO3]). The first supplier I found would charge you just under $150 for that (shipping included). But you might be able to get it cheaper from a producer (quarry) locally.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Spread lime, plant a good cover crop to overwinter and turn it under in spring.

The kids and dogs can play in the cover crop and by next spring you'll have a much improved soil for grass.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.