Multipling Iris to sell

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I've ordered a lot of new Iris this year and could only afford one of each. In a few years, I would like to sell some of the ones I end up liking the best on eBay or the Lily Auction. Is it best to divide them every year to get them to multiply the fastest or to wait 2 to 3 years. I do have somewhat limited space, so will never have room for more than about 3 clumps of each. I posted a list of the ones I ordered on turtlelu's thread about TB. So many exciting iris ou there it was hard to make up my mind about which to order.

Susan

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

tess, I think it's usually best to divide only every 3 years. Any sooner and you will really limit your blooming at home. Just feed them well after they bloom and they should increase more quickly.
Sometimes you can find a place in your neighborhood that will let you grow more. Here, it is at my community center but at least one person I know gardens on some land her church owns. Sometimes a relative or friend will let you use a patch.
My daughter grows a lot more than me and sells them to landscapers.....

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Susan,

I'm planning exactly what you're planning. When I dug and divided the majority of my irises last year, I replanted 3-4 divisions of each cultivar. My intention is to allow them to increase for a year, then start digging and selling one clump of each cultivar every year. I'll save and replant one division of each dug clump. That way, I'll eventually have 1 yr old, 2 yr old, and 3 yr old clumps in my garden so I'll always have a mature blooming clump of each cv.

Of course, Ma Nature rarely cooperates with such carefully laid plans. ;-)

Laurie

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3a)

This message was edited Jul 25, 2004 11:02 PM

laurief is doing exactly what my daughter, Laura, is doing. You will have some at all 3 stages and the 3 stage is the one you can divide and sell, keeping some for yourself. Good luck.
Oh, btw, what is the Lily Auction?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

woodspirit1,

The Lily Auction is a small, online auction site exclusively for plants and garden-related items. It is run somewhat similarly to eBay but on a much smaller, less intimidating scale. Check it out!

http://66.70.38.191/cgi-bin/auction.cgi

Laurie

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Woodspirit1, I have gotten some great daylilies from The Lily Auction. Ususally with a bonus on top of what I've bid on.
I do compare prices to other websites before bidding and ususally find I can get some great deals on the auctions ones.

Susan

I just found the e-mail I printed out where I'm supposed to send you shipping money for iris. Will get to it tomorrow morning. Thanks for the info ion the Lily Auction.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.