Oakleaf Hydrangea

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I planted seven oakleaf hydrangea in a new bed about two months ago. They have all grown and look healthy except that in the last couple of days they all have red spots on the leaves. The spots are round and look like rust. I looked over the leaves and did not see any insects. The leaves otherwise look healthy. Not too much water and they have good drainage. They get sun until noon and then are shaded the rest of the day. Does anyone know what could be causing the red spots?

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Nope, but I have the same thing. I had wondered if the walnut trees nearby could be the culprit but hydrangeas are not listed as no-no's under walnuts.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the response Darius. I don't have any walnut trees (no trees around these hydrangeas for that matter). They are planted along the foundation of one side of my house.

Has anyone else out there had this problem and know what it is?

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

I have an Oakleaf H. that is 30 years old, we trim it back each year and it still is as high as our garage. Every year in late summer it gets spots on the leaves. I don't know what it is either.

trunnels, I transplanted my oakleafs 2 days ago to my new home. Very few spots remain. Man, have they grown! Almost 4' tall.... from $5 semi-rejects 12" tall at a local nursery in May.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Do you folks have photos?

I'll see if I can take some tomorrow, rain permitting.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks, darius. I plan to start a few next spring. Do you have H. macrophylla, too? I have one of those blooming right now. I don't think its supposed to bloom in the fall but, it is! Its a puny little flower (1 of 3) this year having been planted last spring.

Thumbnail by imway2dumb

Yes, I do, and have just transplanted it too to my new place. Hope it does well. I'm more confident about the oakleaf.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I am too. I had a hard time keeping H. macrophylla alive this year and we had one of the coolest summers ever.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

My neigbor has one of the Oakleafs. I like how the bloom head goes up in a pointed sphere.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow, Darius! Mine aren't that tall yet. They still have some rust looking edges but also getting lots of new growth right now since it has cooled down some. How is your new place? Did you get rid of the dampness?
Terrie

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Terrie, do you have H. macrophylla? If so, have you seen them bloom in the fall?
John

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't know. Let me look it up and see if there are some leafy pictures for me to compare it to mine.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

John,
Does this look like your hydrangea?
http://davesgarden.com/pdb/showimage/57222/
If so, I do have these and I do have one very small flower on one of them right now but they all look like they have buds on them. I'm guessing because of the cooler weather.
Terrie

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Seems like I heard that it forms buds in the fall and that these are next springs flowers. I'm confused!

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Well you are probably right. This was my first year for really good blooms so I didn't notice the buds last fall.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

trunnels, sure wish I could grow Oakleaf Hydrangeas. I have tried twice and each time they died. i have two Hydrangea macrophyllas, 'Uzu' and 'Lanarth White', both are two uears old and looking good. I think the buds do form in the fall. Donna

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Boy, Donna, I hope my Oakleaf Hydrangeas make it. They haven't grown much this year. I'm going to start putting phosphate(sp?) on my other hydrangeas so they hopefully will be blue next year. Read that you should start in the fall for blue flowers in the spring.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Terrie, if you are going for blue flowers use ammonium sulfate. Thanks for reminding me! I must purchase some today for my hydrangeas and blueberries. Do you or, anyone else know if the hydrangeas can still be planted this fall?

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

John,
You are absolutely right! I'm still brain dead this morning. I bought the sulfate just for my hydrangeas. And yes, they can still be planted this fall. You aren't that much further north than me and we are supposed to have another six weeks before a freeze.

To whomever I promised photos of my oakleaf hydrangeas... I tool photos but then the camera battery died and I cannot locate the charger. I'm in the throes of moving for the next 2-3 weeks and very short of time so it may be a while.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

We can wait, Darius. Just post them to this thread when you are ready! LOL

Ithaca, NY(Zone 5b)

I have about a 3.5' oakleaf hydrangea that I planted in late summer 2002. It was blooming when I planted it, but hasn't bloomed since, anyone have an idea why? We're in zone 5 and it gets sun most of the day, appears healthy and gets adequate water - just can't figure out why no blooms!

It looks beautiful in October though...

Thumbnail by lmelling
Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Imelling...thanks for the photo. I planted a very small one this summer among some trees and it did not grow very much. I may have to move it next summer.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Imelling,
Sorry, I'm not a hydrangea expert so I don't know why yours is not blooming.
Terrie

Here's one of my 2 oakleaf's. They were $5 specials in quart pots, bedraggled things about 12" tall, this spring. They got spots that sound like what Trunnels described but one bore several blooms (the other just one or two), and both seem to be doing fine now even after moving them about 2 weeks ago.

Thumbnail by darius
Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Darius,
Your little plant has beautiful fall color to it. I saw some oakleaf hydrangeas while I was out today and noticed that the leaves looked brown around the edges just like mine. I think it must not be anything too bad because I have new growth at the top. Hope to have blooms next year.
Terrie

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I like the leaf colors. Not bad for 5 bucks!

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

I think your oakleaf hydrangeas will be fine. I got a small one that limped along for a couple of years and before I knew it, I had a monster plant. It was so huge, I cut it way back this year. Do be careful where you plant them because they do need a lot of space.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I planted them about seven feet apart along the side of my house so I think they will have enough room.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

How well do they do under trees?

They do well, except under walnuts.

trunnels, that should be fine for spacing.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

No nuts here! Well, maybe one.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Darius.
John, Northhaven Gardens here in Dallas has several planted under large trees in front of the nursery and they are just beautiful with full blooms.

John, just remember you said it, not me, LOL.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Ha, ha, ha.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.