General question about vines

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Our office campus has a tennis court. It is surrounded by a chain link fence. I notice there are so many of the wild MG vines growing on it. And most of them follow the 45 degree angle upwards along the fence. Why does it not follow the vertical line though it twines up in a genetically programmed manner. Most of them are growing from left to right upwards. It is so nice to see them. Why does that happen?

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Just a wild guess here, perhaps it follows the sun?, I have some vines here that grow to the east where the sun comes up, then toward evening when it is in the western sky, they tend to head that way? no clue, just a guess.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

its the sun and warmth. most plants if in the shade will lean to the sun. i have to turn alot of my inside plants so they will stand up straight agian due to them leaning torward the sun. if i remeber right in high school the sun helps them with producing certain chemicals to survive. any way its the sun.

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm guessing that because a chain-linked fence has sections that are contected together diagonally (diamond shaped), that this is why. I had a wide MG growing under my deck around my trellis and it followed the diagonal line of the trellis. Just my guess.

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

I think I read somewhere that some vines only twist in one direction. They are either left or right handed, and if you twist one the wrong way it will unwrap and rewrap to go the way it wants to. Wish I could remember where I read that!

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

I agree that, once it twines around a wire, it will continue to twine around that support until it runs out. Since a chain link fence is made up of diagonal wires, it stands to reason that they would twine diagonally by following the same wire. Difference vines will twine in different ways. Some are far less choosy about what they grab onto. A Passiflora will grab onto wherever the tendrils touch and find friction. Japanese wisteria climbs clockwise; Chinese wisteria climbs counter-clockwise.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

I misled a few people up there by not using the word "diagonal". That's what I meant actually. I thought all vines follow the left to right upwards (is it counter-clockwise?). I meant those vines not having tendrils.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.