Asarina Violacea

I planted these from seed and added the little bamboo piece from a tomato plant. Very delicate vine. There is Ipomopsis in there too but I don't know if it will survive. Can't wait for the flowers.

Thumbnail by elsie
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Elsie,
I grow this too. I have 3 colors, dark purple, light purple & pink. It is not an annual here, it overwinters just fine & I have had 2 of mine for 2 years now. I have it climbing up into my trees & it is soooo pretty. They really grow quite large & everywhere they are touching soil they will send down roots. The foliage is so pretty. I know your going to love it!
Donna

Ooh Donna, do you have any pictures? Do you think I should get something taller for it to grow on?

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I have a purple one that I started from seed last year,made a wonderful hanging basket,so I threw it in the Gh for the winter.......
well the seedpods opened and I have it growing EVERYWHERE!!!
I now have 3 hanging baskets of it
plus its sprouting all over ,out of nanas,brugs...etc......

I'd love to see pictures of other colors

I also have one thats called red dragon I think,much bigger blooms and it makes tubers
It got so big(the tubers) they burst the hanging basket
so I just split it into 3 plants
I like it better than the smaller purple one

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Elsie,
here are a couple of pics, did not know if you wanted the plant or the flower. Getting dark here so don't know how well these will look, but you will see what your up against. LOL
This is the trunk of my magnolia. It has 1 pink & 1 light purple planted on it.

Thumbnail by PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

And here are the flowers on the magnolia

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

And here is 1 Joan Loraine Dark Purple on my varigated box elder.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

And here is the Joan Loraine flower.

Hope that helps.
Donna

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

so pretty!!!

8 miles from Athens, OH(Zone 6a)

Elsie,
Last year was my first year to have asarina scandens. I loved it! From three little plants a section of fence 4'x8' was covered in the vine! Sorry, no picture. Also called climbing snap dragon it's something I look forward to growning often. Here in zone 6 our winters kill it off. Next year I hope to cover an ugly ol' tree stump with both the purple and a pink. Enjoy.

Thank you Donna, love the pictures. I guess I need to get the pot near something else to grow on.

Finally got some blooms after I moved the pot to my front fence. The flowers are larger than I thought they would be.

Thumbnail by elsie
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Very pretty Elsie, it must be happy.
Donna

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Nice closeups too Donna!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.