Container Gardening Alaskan Style

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I just posted this photo to another thread, and it occurred to me that we have some pretty inovative container gardeners around Seward. I'd like to share some with you.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Here 's another. It's made from alder or willow branches, then stuffed with moss. The plant is canary bird vine.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Here's a shrimp pot used as a planter.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Cool planters. There are lots of "natural" planters in these mountains, too. I should keep my camera in the truck.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes! It would be fun to post some of the local containers in our areas! Here is my son's brassicas in an old wheelbarrow. It's practically unseeable through all the equisetum around it!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Those are great. I especially like the recycled shrimp pot and the top one reminds me of a log cabin.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

The hanging basket is made of Diamond Willow, a very traditional decorative wood. It's getting harder to find these days.

Here's a common planter in our coastal town.

I really like all of them. Really like the shrimp pot too.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Thanks, Elsie. Shrimp pots are popular around here for planters, so everybody must like them. Also, folks like to place the glass float balls around the garden for ornamentation. Like the diamond willow, hand blown glass floats are hard to come by these days.

I picked up a bunch of colbalt blue glass floats at a yard sale about 5 years ago, very cheap, while I was visiting friends in Tulsa. I gave them to our hostess as a gift because she had colbalt blue touches in her kitchen. They looked wonderful in a shallow clear glass bowl.

Sure wish I had them now!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I've always wanted to get some that still have the netting on them. I have a bucket full of the ones about the size of baseballs, but some folks around here have the basketball size.

The ones I bought had no netting but I remember seeing those as a kid some many many many years ago. Mine were assorted sizes but none like a basketball... more in the baseball to softball sizes.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, years ago one could find them washed ashore in some of the islands and coastlines around this area. I always heard they were from the Japanese ships. I can't recall where mine are... I'll have to look for them. Haven't set them out in the beds for several years.

Here is yet another type of shoe pots. Ceeads put a pair of platform shoes to better purpose and probably saved herself a twisted ankle! LOL!

Weez, will you post a pic when you find them? Thanks!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Will do, Darius.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.