Butterfly Garden - Trumpet Vines and Passion Vines

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

I found out that two of the best plants to attract butterflies and hummingbirds are passion vines and trumpet vines. I have a corner of my yard (about 5' x 10') that I am not using for anything. Do these vines take a lot of space? Any info that anyone could give me on these two vines or alternatives would be appreciated. So far in the rest of the yard I have butterfly bush (Blue Knight and Pink), Salvia Blue, bee balm, aloe vera, okra, and three fruit trees. I also have just for the heck of it sunflowers and tomatoes (with marigolds to protect from tomato worms). Any info would be appreciated.

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

Welcome to Daves, C. I find the butterflies absolutely love my passion vines (as do the caterpillars) and it is such a fun & exotic addition to my garden.

As per you question, Passion vines can be extremely invasive and/or get very large if the climate is right. I have both of mine in containers growing up a wire trellis. They have spread all over it and created a nice canopy (the trellis makes an arc and connects to the house.) They grow extremely fast and will grab onto anything. BUT! I love them, as do many people on this forum (have you seen their pics??), and will keep them around and help them flourish in my garden.

Trumpet vine ... What zone are you in? I assume 7 or 8-- and its probably dry heat, yes? I am in 7a and we have very dry heat, and trumpet vines are extremely invasive and will take all the room they'll get plus some. It will grow with absolute neglect. They are all over Lubbock and I've heard mixed opinions of them. But they are gorgeous, dont get me wrong.

I'd love to see pictures of your butterfly garden- it sounds great!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.