Ornamental tree

Chapin, SC(Zone 8a)

I'm new to gardening and have jumped in with both feet. The more I research and learn the more confused I get as to what I want. I would like an easy, fast growing to 20 to 30' ornamental tree. My soil is clay and I live in Zone 8a. Does anyone have any suggestions.
Thank you,
Renee

This message was edited Jul 19, 2004 2:01 PM

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

It would help if you put in a few more parameters, like shape... tall pyramid, full and branching, weeping, for shade, fruiting or not, etc.

Palo Cedro, CA(Zone 8a)

I live in Zone 8a in Northern California and my 4 acres is pretty much volcanic rock, clay and a tiny bit of soil. Catalpa trees (Big light green leaves and many small glorious white flowers in the spring) seems to do really well! They grow extremely fast. I planted one last fall in a pot and it is 3 feet already. The leaves are bigger than your hand! There are a lot of people on this site that have them and will get seed or plants to you I am sure. I will have seed in a month or so if you like when the long fingerlike seed pods dry up. I have the Southern Catalpa. I believe there is also a Northern.

Lena & Maizie (The Aussie Wonder Dog)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.