My potatoes

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I have them planted in a container. Can't wait to see what I get.

Thumbnail by makshi
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

wow!....They're about to grow outta that container, aren't they!

Hope to see your harvest when it comes in!

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Thanks Horseshoe

Northern, IN

I, too, would like to see your potato harvest. In return, I'll send you my modest results.

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

I am also waiting.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Well the harvest was most disapointing. Wish I had planted a few more.

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

OHHHH, Its very bad, No problem sow again and hope next time we will see you will have good quantity of potatoes.

Burlington, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm going to try a large area where I used to compost over the years on the side base of a hill in my yard next year, but not a raised bed as I don't think it will be needed. I'm going for Idaho White, some Reds some Sweet and Yams. The area is partly sunny, mostly shade but I heard these are cooler liking plants and don't like alot of sun. The crtical point being a good depth of cultivated soil say 14 inches and good drainage to prevent root rot. I start my eyes indoors and transplant. I didn't plant this past year as I made my raised beds where they would normally have grown. I wIll keep all informed next season on what happens.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Honibeedid you just plant your potatoes in that container and leave them alome to grow? Or did you add mulch each time the plant got 8 inches high till it flowered?

Not saying you don't know this but for the benifit of those who don't potatoes form near the ground surface and production benifits are reaped by mulching as they grow because each time you establish a new surface the plant forms more potatoes.The commercial potatoe farmers here hill two or three times a season building the rows up for drainage, added root heat, and to provide a nice soft grow row avoiding soil compaction. I do much the same with my tiller and a rake keeps the weeds at bay and makes digging a snap usually just use my hands. Ernie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.